Network Overheating

velusip

[H]ard|Gawd
Shaw Cable tech support was no help regarding my erratic WAN status (updownupdownupdown). The next thing I did was point a fan at the cable modem. Sure enough, the rapid switching calmed down. Regained stability about 10 minutes later.

Calling back to inform them of my victory, Shaw mentioned a common issue with bad power adaptors too. So there you have it: If you're having a computer problem it's probably power or heat.

I hope this info serves someone well. I've always lived in cooler climates than this and kept my place sub 18 degrees celcius, but since I moved to tropical Vancouver BC it seems that I'm going to have to beef up my cooling systems, even for network appliances.

that sounds a little ridiculous. the engineers that designed that hardware must of done something wrong :p

but glad you figured out your issue. I wish I could figure out the issues with my cable service.

velusip said:
Calling back to inform them of my victory, Shaw mentioned a common issue with bad power adaptors too.

... and if it was their equipment they immediately told you they were coming out to replace it right?

Actually its my own equipment, but they still offered to replace it with a newer model for free.

velusip said:
Actually its my own equipment, but they still offered to replace it with a newer model for free.

And you accepted their FREE hardware, right? :p

Back