Network node IP addressing standard?

thee_rook

[H]ard|Gawd
I keep hearing that there is a standard that is out there of what addresses you put your appliances at, printers at, workstations, servers, etc...

Does anyone have a link to a paper or can tell me what it looks like. I have nott been able to find any "standard practice" sheet on it.

I'm not sure of a standard practice for putting specific devices, but RFC 1918 covers private address ranges, which means you use addresses from the following ranges so they are not routable publically

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

You'll need to look into subnetting and network masks if you want to look more specifically, or you can stick with safe ranges like 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 and the like

I keep hearing that there is a standard that is out there of what addresses you put your appliances at, printers at, workstations, servers, etc...

Does anyone have a link to a paper or can tell me what it looks like. I have nott been able to find any "standard practice" sheet on it.

There's no usual standard....honestly it's whatever makes sense to you.

Here's what I do. Lets take an SMB network size with a class C 24 bit range
192.168.1.xxx

Now, the gateway is traditionally .1, sometimes you'll see .254.
I usually set DHCP to hand out clients IP addresses starting at .100, and go on up from there.
Access points are commonly .245, etc.
I usually set my servers to start at .10, .11, etc
I usually set my printers to start at .20, .21, .22, etc

There's no usual standard....honestly it's whatever makes sense to you.
This

Do whatever you can remember easily. Then make sure you document it so it will remain consistent over time because a "standard" isn't much good if you don't adhere to it.

we like to give printers static ips of 50,51, 52, 53, etc. for that particular subnet.

Then all we gotta do is know what site(subnet) we are talking about, and then i can pull up a printer that way..for instance...10.1.35.50...bam theres a printer.

good luck

Okay I thought so. There was some guy in here talking about an industry standard out there for where in the "range" to place certain types of nodes. Like Servers @ .10 to ?, printers @ .30 to ?.....kinda thing. I just threw out there that I had not seen a set standardization, but I do something similar. He was like, "Look it up and you will see." I did and failed to se the stadard.

Thanks guys.

Okay I thought so. There was some guy in here talking about an industry standard out there for where in the "range" to place certain types of nodes. Like Servers @ .10 to ?, printers @ .30 to ?.....kinda thing. I just threw out there that I had not seen a set standardization, but I do something similar. He was like, "Look it up and you will see." I did and failed to se the stadard.

Thanks guys.

tell that guy he is a NOOB!

no "official" standards that I'm aware of. Usually the servers start at .10, switches .21, APs at .31, printers start at .51, DHCP pool starts at .100, etc. Firewalls at .254 and routers at .1.

Also, I like to stay away from the 192.168.x.x network for businesses, especially 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, 192.168.10.x, 192.168.11.x. Those are typically the default ranges for the major brands of home-grade wireless routers. Can cause issues with VPN connections if the network is the same on both ends of a tunnel. :D

Don't forget to save space for a darknet.

A darknet is a range of addresses that are not in use - so if you detect traffic using one of those addresses, you know you've found a baddie.

Back