Network Monitoring Solution?

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I'm trying to find a new monitoring solution for us. Currently we are monitoring 410 devices using WhatsUp Gold. WUG is good for what we are using it for but we have to use a lot of work arounds to get it to alert on utilization and other stuff as well. Plus it's bloated, the dbase is upwards of 15 gig.

I just tried PacketTrap, nice piece of software but no SNMP Traps in it at all so that's out of the question.

Zenoss, we have used this in the past. The version that we were on (v1.1.1) randomly locked up so my boss doesn't trust it. Even though there is ver 2.2.4 and it's quite nice.

Cacti - This is a great piece of software for monitoring but not for alerting.

Nagios - The boss used it a long time ago, configuration is a pain, it does what it needs to do but also it's functionality is not as robust as we want it.

Any other software out there I might be missing that I can trial to see if it'll work for what we need?

Orion - Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for what it is.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solarwinds IPmonitor? I liked it better before Solarwinds bought it, but might do what you need?

cacti has a thresholds plugin, which can alert you if a given value is above or below your desired values.

Orion - Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for what it is.

Not really.... but when you compare it to "free", I can see your point of view. Compared to other monitoring programs with far more intelligence, it's relatively cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look at Zabbix and PRTG. That PRTG looks good so far, lots of stuff to look at, almost a bit too busy. Need to tweak it though.

Thanks again.

iReasoning SysUpTime

I'm currently up to 96 devices monitored (UPS units and power strips). I've got about 4 performance monitors per device recording vitals. All stored in an internal database, but can be linked to an Oracle or MSSql server. Automated/Scheduled reports. SNMP trapping and alerting. It has a desktop application as well as a web based client.

ZenOSS, you should also give this one a try IMHO. I used OpenNMS and other solutions but once I discovered ZenOSS, I sticked with it since version 1.2. It does SNMP, SSH and WMI polling, traps receiving and alerting and of course monitoring and graphing for interfaces.

lol, sorry for my pointless post, didn't read your questions carefully enough and did not notice you already evaluated ZenOSS.

Zenoss user here too..Need to figure out the alerting, but it does it's job with the built in snmp on most of our devices.

I'm partial to Solarwinds Orion. Lately our NMS guys have been recommending OpManager.

We use SNMPc in my office. Its alerting is fast and pretty robust once you get past the learning curve. You can generate reports based on just about anything you want to monitor.

I don't know about the price - it was purchased at a much higher level than me.

It does everything we want it to do and we monitor over 700 switches and routers.

Back