Network Monitoring Software

Hey everyone,

I am considering changing ISPs soon, and the ISP I plan on switching to has an inexpensive plan whose only downside is that you are capped per month on your usage. Of course, if you go over, they start charging you per MB. And to make things more complicated, they have no place where you can view your usage statistics - so you have know idea on how close you are to your cap.

To solve this problem, I am looking for an easy to use (and possibly free) piece of software that could track this data for me in real-time, and possibly notify me when I get close to the cap. Does anyone know of a piece of software that would fit my needs?

Thanks,

~AB

You only have one computer/phone etc? The best thing would be doing it at router level (search for ddwrt)

+1 for DDWRT, it has a graph that can be broken down by day/week/month/year on the WAN side. Upload and download.

Just curious. are you switching to Comcast? I only ask because what you mentioned it a common complaint with them.

However, if you are a typical user you shouldnt ever really come close to their cap. 250gb is alot.

the 250gb comcast limit isnt necessarily a hard limit, where they cut you off or start charging you the second you go over. its more of a "if you cross this point so many times, something might happen" limit.

OP- what ISP charges per MB over the limit? that seems pretty dumb to me (like a cellular provider extortion). they should instead just kill your speed.

I wouldn't go with any ISP that did not offer me the means to track my own usage if they insist on charging me for it per capita. I'm to just trust in their honesty? Not a chance. Give it to me like the usage on my cell phone. down to the ounce.

Any monitoring you use, would only be he-said-she-said. Unless you intend to cut yourself off with it as to not bump the cap. I just say go with a plan you dont have to worry about,

Another vote for doing it at the router level, if you can. Depends on which model you have, if its default firmware will track that, or...if it will support 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT..or my preferred one..Tomato.

Back