Network management tool for linux

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
For my network admin class this semester at school I need to setup and use a NMP(Network management program) on lab network. This needs to be something like lansweeper/spiceworks that can also do SNMP and runs on Linux not windows.

Does such a robust program exist for linux?

I will second Nagios.....very granular monitoring. Plus, the documentation is superb, and will be a great asset for getting it up and running.

Don;t you have to install stuff on each client for Nagios?

also what about Zenoss?

I am looking for something that does not need anything installed on the devices you want to monitor.

I am looking for something that does not need anything installed on the devices you want to monitor.

You don't need anything installed to do SNMP monitoring. Just need SNMP enabled on the device

also what about Zenoss?

I tried out Zenoss back in 2008 when it was featured on Hak5 as it seemed like a really cool alternative to many of the windows management tools. And it was, it had some bugs, but overall it was really nice. The only thing that really turned me off to it was the price, at the time it was low, but still didn't seem low enough to get me interested and away from Spiceworks/Labtech/Kaseya/etcetcetc. Now they have a much more robust platform, however their price has soared and I still wouldn't know if it is worth it.

If it were me, I would get a demo of it, and try it out before committing money to it.

You don't need anything installed to do SNMP monitoring. Just need SNMP enabled on the device

How do you decide what SNMP traps to get, configure on each device and it sends an SNMP message to the server?

How do you decide what SNMP traps to get, configure on each device and it sends an SNMP message to the server?

Most devices have default SNMP traps, you enable SNMP on the device and then configure your traps on nagios

For Zenoss in ubuntu...

Add this to your sources.list:

deb http://dev.zenoss.org/deb main stable

apt-get update
apt-get install zenoss-stack

/etc/init.d/zenoss-stack start

It's not that terrible to do. That is the hardest part then log into the web gui http://serverip:8080

thanks for the info.

I think I need to read up on how SNMP works first then what I need to do will make more sense.

Back