Network just...stopped working.

Fatal

Limp Gawd
This was a surprise for me as my ADSL has worked flawlessly since I can remember. Now, I had it set up wrong I'm thinking, so I don't know how it worked. Before, I had a regular cable going from the modem to the switch, and then the switch distributed the connection to 2 computers. Now, when I try to set it up the same way on a different phone jack, it won't work. The only way my internet will work is if I have a crossover cable going directly from the modem to the computer. If I connect the modem to the switch with any combo, the internet doesn't work, but the network is fine. I can't connect to anything with this setup. Not even the modem to configure. Why won't my switch allow anything to connect to the anything? The ports are auto configuring or DHCP I think, but windows claims that the computer can't get an assigned IP.

find the address of the modem.. it should be 192.168.0.1 or similar. you can look it up online.. then when you get in, you can see if teh dhcp is working.. you might be able to simply reset the modem too.. i would assume that the dhcp would be enabled by default.. or you can turn it off and manually assign ips on your comptuers..

I don't see any DHCP settings in the modem, but heres how it worked before.
networkbefore14aq.jpg

I don't want to reset the modem either, because it was setup by my ISP, and I don't know the settings the it should be set to.

Yet some more pics for you...
networkstraight19gx.jpg

The computers that are connected through the switch don't get an IP address assigned... I don't know why though. :confused:

I don't know. :eek: But would that cause the computers to not get assigned IPs by DHCP?

i don't understand how it used to work with a crossover cable.. that really makes no sense to me..

try to assign the ip addresses manually..

also.. you could see if there is a gui interface for that modem.. typing 192.168.1.1 in your browser of choice should get you in.. i have never used telnet.. shows my age.. just barely to young...

i would ditch that crossover cable though.. i don't know how that would do any good.. i have a crossover cable connecting 2 computers.. but that because there is no switch or anything in the mix.. and i assigned ip addresses manually..

What you should do is a hard reset on both your modem and your router. I had the same problem a couple of years ago.

Tom

I don't know how it worked with a crossover cable either (unless there is one switch port for "switch to switch" that wouldn't be auto sensing hmm and you were originally plugged into that and it worked somehow).

Anyways try it with a straight through cable.

I just went out and purchased a new LinkSys switch, and all is working again. Thats the only thing I figured it could of been because the connection worked fine from the modem to the computer but not through the switch. I also ruled out cable failure and went straight to switch failure and walla! Thanks for the replies though.

Back