Network issue on ASUS P6T SE (Win7)

GuruX

Gawd
I have an ASUS P6T SE motherboard, and am running Windows 7 64-bit.

The issue I'm running into is related to the network card. Sometimes when I boot up, it tells me there is no network cable connected... or when it does try to connect, it will connect at 10mbps. Usually I can eventually coax it into running at 100mbps by a combination of unplugging / replugging in the cable, disabling/re-enabling the NIC, running the diagnostics, and finally a reboot. Unfortunately, it eventually starts acting up again after several cold reboots.

Plugging the same network cable into my Tablet PC (Elitebook 2730p) causes zero issues at all -- it always detects at 100mbps). I also had zero issues running this on my old Maximus Formula motherboard.

I'm willing to accept that a potential failure could be happening with the in-wall network cable (we wired our house for Ethernet about 10 years ago using regular Cat-5 cable), but wouldn't that affect all systems connecting to it, rather than just this particular board? Just to clarify, when any system connects at 100mbps, I get the bandwidth I should.

Did you resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem.

The only 'solution' I can find is someone on another forum stating this is an emi/interference problem that requires electrical taping the standoffs. Seems to consistent of an issue for it to be that, in my opinion.

Honestly, the onboard Realtek Ethernet is crap anyways. Just get a $25 Intel PCIe card. I think I posted about my testing in another thread. I have two machines: one Pentium Dual-Core (I believe an E2160) with 512 MiB of RAM and an RTL8111C (same as the P6T SE onboard), and one Pentium 4 with 1.5 GiB of RAM and Intel 100Mbps Ethernet. Both were connected to the same network wired, and both were connected to the same server at the same time. Both ran XP and the dual-core had the advantage in that it was a clean install. The Realtek was consistently 20ms higher every time I looked at the pings.

Back