Network installers in Northern VA?

Psychor

Limp Gawd
If this is the wrong forum for posting this I apologize. Feel free to move this post. ;)

I recently bought a finished house and want to wire it with CAT6. Unfortunately it has vaulted ceiling and routing the wire through the house (3 levels) is something I'd prefer not to tackle myself. I now have a greater appreciation for attics that run along the top floor.

So off I went to Goggle to make some calls. Let me tell you... finding Electricians in the Northern VA area who actually know what the hell they're doing, networking wise, is proving harder then I thought. I can't tell you how many Electricians don't know what a patch panel is or don't understand why I "don't just use wireless." :rolleyes:

If anyone out there works in NoVA or can recommend someone who does this type work please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
Be prepared so have some drywall ripped out and patched up in the process.

There is no 100% way to avoid doing that in at least a few necessary entry points.

Don't know of anyone up in NOVA though =(

You will save a ton of money just doing it yourself and you will end up with all the proper tools. If you have a complex install, I'd prefer to do that myself as the installers are going to take some short cuts.

I agree with Ockie. You're going to spend a chunk of money on what you're looking to have done. Why not just spend that money on the tools you'd need to do the job. Then it's done how you want and you'll end up with the tools.

what I have found out with electricians, you say internet in each room they run coax =)

what i would do call an electrician or a alarm/phone company (our wiring guy is from a security company does alarms, phones, and home automation) tell them you just want cat5e in spot x y z, and all home run to here.

you do the rest, you put the wall jacks in, you patch the cable in at the bottom.

what i would do call an electrician or a alarm/phone company (our wiring guy is from a security company does alarms, phones, and home automation) tell them you just want cat5e in spot x y z, and all home run to here.

you do the rest, you put the wall jacks in, you patch the cable in at the bottom.

+1 for this. This way you can order the cat 6 jacks and patch panel you want vs. what the electricians want to give you. Also put them in the order that you want on the patch panel.

Back