Network Implementation Plan

VrtGG

n00b
Hey all, second thread here for me, got some great advice back in the Video cards section for a PC upgrade.

Alright, so I need to form up a plan on building a fairly "simple" network. The network must consist of more than one LAN, so that rules out a simple home-based type network.

Being out of the loop for a while, if anyone has some free time to answer, what are the most modern Hardware/Software items used today to construct office type networks. I'd prefer to go in the wireless direction, since it doesn't over complicate matters as much with cables and the like.

Hardware wise like Switches if needed, routers, modems, etc., and Software wise in terms of the programs needed to run the hardware, and any Security type features that are simply a "must" in order to have a strong network.

Thanks again for any advice/help in this. :cool:

Need more details.
How many nodes total?
How many "different" networks do you want?
All wireless? Or any wired?
Who gets access to what?

There are quite a few wireless APs out there which can separate each wireless client..so that each wireless client is in its own VLAN..cannot get to any other network resources
Or separate your network with port based VLANs from a managed switch.

Hey, thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated. The network I was planning would consist of maybe 3-4 LAN's at the moment, that could change though, and yes, the entire thing would be wireless, I figure it would just be more accomodating overall. As far as security goes, the thing about that is that I would keep it fairly "normal". What I mean by that is, without going into any detail, is that the main floor would have basic access.

What about numbers of Computers on these Lans?
The main floor gets basic access. What about the others?

Back