Network/Homegroup not working

t0asty

Limp Gawd
I created a homegroup and connected to it with both computers. On an older Linksys router, this was all that needed to be done and I was sharing files without a problem between computers. But now with a new DIR-655, I can see each the computers under the Network heading as well as in the Homegroup heading, but I can't connect either way anymore.

-When I try to connect under Homegroup with either PC, it acts like it is loading that folder, but then nothing happens.
-When I try to connect via the network icon, it takes a minute, then gives me "Windows cannot access \\(whichever the pc I try to connect to) - Check the spelling of the name, Otherwise there might be a problem with your network." When I click Diagnose I get: "Problems found: file and print sharing resource (name of pc) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts. The remote computer isn't responding to connection attempts on port 445, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it's temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn't find any problems with the firewall on the computer"

I don't know what else to do, so far I have:

-uninstalled all firewall/AV programs and disabled Windows Firewall and UAC.
-I can successfully ping back and forth between computers using their IP as well as their name.
-Gone through all the network settings and turned all the share options on and password protection off
-Made sure the workgroup names were the same
-Created new homegroups and changed passwords to check
-Restored back to previous Restore Points
-Reset the router, recreated a network without any security as well as with all other types of security.
-Used my neighbor's router with no success either
-All the Mac and IP addresses are correct and reserved in the router settings

I have searched all over the internet finding people with the same errors, but never a solution. If it matters, I can use the Share-port Utility on the router with my external HD connected via USB to the rear of the DIR-655 and connect to it fine (although painfully slow, like ~1-10 kbps).

Both machines are Windows 7, the desktop 64 bit and the laptop 32 bit. The network was working when I had to format my laptop a while back because when I was out of town my neighbor decided to get a nasty virus on it. Then the next week I had to RMA my desktop MB, and when that was reinstalled, I started getting these errors again, I assumed because the Mac address had changed? I have all my music and movies on my desktop and use my laptop in the living room as sort of a "ghetto" htpc which I connect to my flat screen. The router was bought from Amazon a few months back and has firmware of 2.00NA and is the new verB1 model. On their website, they only have 2.00NA listed under their firmware, but for the A1-4 models, they have several firmwares to choose from, but I didn't know if it would brick the router if I tried to flash one of the old models onto the new one. I am very tempted to just reformat my laptop seeing as the semester is over and there is nothing on it that I need, but wanted to try to fix it before I resorted to that.

please help... :confused:

Back