Network help or recommendation

Jeffman

Gawd
Hello,

I currently have a Linksys EA8500 wireless router which was purchased in April 2016. The last month or so, randomly all of my wireless deivces will lose internet connectivity. They appear to be connected to the router still, but no internet. The wired devices on the router work just fine. A reboot of the router solves the issue for a few days, and then it starts all over again.

I don't know of anything new going on in this time. No changes to the router or the setting it's in. A few new devices (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, new TV and new receiver), but nothing crazy. All were just replacing old devices that were already on the network.

Is there something on the router I should look at? I hate to think my $250 router that's less than 2 years old is going bad. I did a chat with Linksys, and they basically told me to pay them for help or to shove it. I'm not an idiot, but I'm not awesome with network either.

I live in a 1600 sq. ft. townhouse. I don't need huge coverage, but speed is rather important. I do game a little bit online, but most of the network activity is streaming 4k video via Netflix. Up to 2 streams at once in the house, or one stream and gaming. Lots of downloads (games mostly). There is no wired networking done, so everything is wireless except for my main desktop and my server which are wired, in the same room as the router.

There is a lot of interference around me. I'm in and end unit next to an open field, however I have units behind me and on the other side of me, and across the street. There are probably up to 15 networks I can catch around me with my phone. I can't really select any channel to avoid interference, so I just left it on auto.

Any thoughts? Do I really need a new router at this point? I'm hoping I can just check a few settings on mine and make a difference.

You ruled out switching channels it seems like. If the router is centralized in the house, I honestly don't have any suggestions for the existing device itself as you seem to have covered your bases already.

When it comes to replacements though, replacing the whole thing isn't really needed. Its easy enough to disable the wireless and add one or more access points instead. I'd really be interested in seeing how a new, for instance, Unify AC Pro would fare.. you can always return it on Amazon. The recent mesh systems such as the Netgear Orbi that I installed in my parents house are another option. That system was awesome.

I've been looking into the mesh systems. They look great! However, I have a USB hard drive shared using the USB port on my router now, and I don't see any mesh system that has that same feature. Which is really lame.

I'd just share it via one of my computers, but I don't keep any of them on 24/7, and I usually use that USB drive during times that my systems are powered off.

Again, even the Orbi I installed can be run in bridge mode retaining your router so the mesh system just handles the wifi. In fact that's how I installed it as they needed to retain their FiOS router.

Why not get a new external HD enclosure that has Ethernet and a simple and interface. I second unifi AP pro and a simple router to replace what you have

Why not get a new external HD enclosure that has Ethernet and a simple and interface. I second unifi AP pro and a simple router to replace what you have

Again, even the Orbi I installed can be run in bridge mode retaining your router so the mesh system just handles the wifi. In fact that's how I installed it as they needed to retain their FiOS router.

I'm not opposed to any of that, really. If that's what I have to do then I'm happy to check it out. Before I go too far down that path I just want to make sure there's nothing else I'm missing with my current router. I just can't believe that after only 18 months it's gone to hell.

Consumer routers tend to run too hot with inadequate cooling. Is their ventilation around the unit? Is it hot to touch?
Are you on the latest firmware?

Reset the device to factory and reconfig it. Load latest firmware. The only other thiing is to flash it to a 3rd party software if your router supports it.

There is ventilation around it. It never feels too hit, but is usually warm. It is at the latest firmware.

I'll do a reset and reconfig on my next day off. I wouldn't be opposed to a 3rd party firmware. I did that years ago with a different router and it resolved a similar issue.

almost definitely heat issues. Maybe not necessarily overheating, but heating/cooling repeatedly weakening the solder points. I would only trust Asus on tomato firmware or Ubiquiti nowadays for good and stable wireless. If its an option, I would try a custom firmware that supports lowering the ant gain a little to lessen heat. Asus+tomato works great for that; lowering just 1/2 db reaps almost the same signal strength from nearby clients with half the heat.

Back