network / firewalls nub q

real

Limp Gawd
I have a question about hooking up a firewall w/ my network. I want to put a fire wall up, but I have 4 computers. now I was wondering if I can use my old 200 mhz and run a line from my modem to it, have the firewall on that, then take another line from that computer to my router, and would it still work? if I can do this, what do I need? is there a in-out network card or something? or do I have to put the firewall on all computers - that I don't want to do. thanks for any info

Yes it will work. I suggest you get m0n0wall and put it on the 200mhz machine. You will need two network cards. One to connect it to the modem and the other to connect it to your router, which will now be running as a switch. There's no such thing as in-out or out-in network cards to my knowledge.

yes you can do that, but dont use your router as a router, just connect the internal firewall cable to a regular port and use it as a switch, then configure your PCs to use the firewall as the default gateway and use static IPs.
then disable the router DHCP and you can even restrict the IPs that are allowed to connect through your firewall so if you have wifi, people cant connect and steal internet if they bypass your wifi security.

Yes I have a cable modem

I can use 2 any normal network cards? Cool I thought I would need some kinda that had a in/out style or something

When you say use m0n0wall, do I need a Linux/BSD os on the system? and if I do, what is the best one?

real said:
Yes I have a cable modem

I can use 2 any normal network cards? Cool I thought I would need some kinda that had a in/out style or something

When you say use m0n0wall, do I need a Linux/BSD os on the system? and if I do, what is the best one?

monowall is its own distro. So all you need to do is install it and configure it. check out the website and read over the documentation.

k i have came to see that i am too much of a nub for m0n0wall, i have read everthing on the site but cant get it to work. anyways, maybe i need some better instrutions or something, or is there another way to do it with a windows system? and if there is, can some one explain it?

Did you download the ISO image, burn it to disc, then boot it? Make sure in your BIOS that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order. I think once you get into the setup you can just auto-detect and hopefully it will find the drivers for your network cards and it will work.

What problem do you have anyway? Post here and we can try and overcome it. I wouldn't recommend using Windows for your firewall, it would probably be too slow and have many loopholes.

Back