Network Engineer????

-Cryptic-

Weaksauce
I was just curios for all you network engineers out there is there really a network engineering degree or is basically all the network certifications you get that are consider a network engineer?

Also anyone know any good colleges or what I should be looking for?
I know there is all those Cisco certifications.............

Also is there any database degrees becuase all I get from looking is everything is considered computer science degrees.

PLEASE HELP

Well, there is a Professional Engineer (PE) exam that you take when you go through most engineering programs at major universities, and that makes you a licensed engineer. However, you dont have to have a college degree or take the PE exam/be a licensed engineer told hold the title of Network/Systems/etc Engineer. Companies hand those titles out to people that are usually in a position of designing, implementing, maintaining, and troubleshooting complex systems. Some companies hand the "Engineer" title out a bit to readily to people that shouldn't be called an Engineer, but I've seen my fair share of completely stupid 'professional engineers' too. However, some companies will require that you have a 4-year Engineering or Computer Science degree and/or a ton of experience before they'll give you an Engineer title.

Some universities might have "Network Engineer" degrees, but most likely your choices for that type of education will be Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science. As far as what college you should go to, go pick up the US News college guide and look through that. Just off the top of my head, MIT, Carnegie-Mellon, Stanford, UC Berkley, Univ. of Illinois, UT Austin, and A&M College Station are some of the better engineering schools. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, so it'd probably be a good idea for you to pick up a college guide.

Those Cisco certifications are there to validate that you have the knowledge - not to give you something you dont already have an understanding of.

As for database classes, Computer Science or BCIS are probably the most database-oriented degrees out there.

-Cryptic- said:
is there really a network engineering degree

B.S. in Network Technology
http://cs.depaul.edu/programs/2006/BachelorNT2006.asp

"The Bachelor of Science in Network Technologies degree program is designed for students who wish to learn to select, justify, configure, and manage appropriate network technologies for a wide variety of business applications. Course topics include the foundations of networking, local area network design and management, Internet access technologies, routing, and interconnection technologies. There is also a concentration in Network Security ."

Back