network drops on the ceiling

blarg

Limp Gawd
Hopefully some of you laugh at this I'm sure it's funny but not to me since I'm living it.

----The Backstory----
My organization is getting a new building. We will have two cubicle areas for 30 users. The electrical blue print calls for 25 data / power poles to be dropped from the ceiling in these areas. I've dealt with distribution poles before and have no problem with them.

----The Problem----
Nobody pre planned where the cubicles would be going in these two rooms or bought the cubicles. I won't have the final dimensions of what cubicles will be going in until after the power and data poles have already been run. My solution is simply to have them not do the final mounting of the poles and leave them with 3 feet of slack in the cables. I can adjust them to fit the cubicles because we have a decent idea of where everything will end up going.

----The Monkey Wrench-----
Someone above me figured out a different solution, have the electric and network drops put on the ceiling instead and just run patch cables and extension cords down to the cubicles where ever they may end up.
I think aside from looking bad and being plagued with issues from cables getting pulled this is dangerous. I have never seen this done in an office environment and I'm guessing there is a reason why. Are there building codes or standards agencies like HIPPA or OSHA that ban this kind of practice? If not are there any best practices guides out there that say this isn't the best idea? Sorry the post was so long thanks for any help.

Hopefully some of you laugh at this I'm sure it's funny but not to me since I'm living it.

----The Backstory----
My organization is getting a new building. We will have two cubicle areas for 30 users. The electrical blue print calls for 25 data / power poles to be dropped from the ceiling in these areas. I've dealt with distribution poles before and have no problem with them.

----The Problem----
Nobody pre planned where the cubicles would be going in these two rooms or bought the cubicles. I won't have the final dimensions of what cubicles will be going in until after the power and data poles have already been run. My solution is simply to have them not do the final mounting of the poles and leave them with 3 feet of slack in the cables. I can adjust them to fit the cubicles because we have a decent idea of where everything will end up going.

Someone above me figured out a different solution, have the electric and network drops put on the ceiling instead and just run patch cables and extension cords down to the cubicles where ever they may end up.
I think aside from looking bad and being plagued with issues from cables getting pulled this is dangerous. I have never seen this done in an office environment and I'm guessing there is a reason why. Are there building codes or standards agencies like HIPPA or OSHA that ban this kind of practice? If not are there any best practices guides out there that say this isn't the best idea? Sorry the post was so long thanks for any help.

There are safety policies in almost every state, and if I'm picturing this properly this would most likely not abide by those..

Wouldn't the power cable pulls be subject to an inspection sign off for the municipal inspector's final inspection? To me this seems like rough electrical if they are still cabling.

Granted I've never worked with commercial codes, only residential.

----The Backstory----

----The Problem----

LOL

That is really too bad they did that to you. maybe tough it out for a little while, let a few cables get pulled bringing down a group of cubicles bringing productivity to an abrupt halt? maybe assist a few of the cables out of the sockets?

Extension cables will fail fire code approval. Especially in a cub farm. You would have to buy 16 ft. + surge protectors to exempt out of fire code. No extension cable can be used as a permanent wiring device. These would be classified as a permanent fixture or device. Plus the strain on all of the computer hardware having to run through possibly comprimised voltage levels. You would technically need a UPS at each computer.

Junction box teh electrical in the ceiling near the "final" spots, and just coil the drops in the ceiling until the final location is deemed.

Depends on your area... new construction requires an approval, so power must be in before then... however if its existing construction, no inspector needed... of course that depends on your area like i said, thats how it is here.

also here you cant tie wrap to electrical.

if you ever notice, collegehumor.com offices have the network drops coming from above straight down, thats not my cup of tea, but it works.

if you DONT KNOW where they will go, place them in intervals, you can always buy longer patch cords and extension cords.

Call or visit your local Fire Dept and have them make a random visit to your workplace, once there they'll clearly see that is not safe and tell the owner to fix it within some certain time frame

This definitely will not pass a fire inspection. I just got done with a wiring project at the place I work because someone, who doesn't work there anymore thought it would be a good idea to run cabling almost identical to what the op is describing. I would see if you can get a fire inspection, because when you do, it will definitely fail and they will make you change it.

+2 on the fire code... They'll get nailed for that on the extension cords. Data cables really don't matter, but the extension cords do. They'll usually give you time to fix it, but you might as well tell them to have a plan B ready because you'll need it.

Note... I have gotten around this once by just buying an extra long power strip (like 15' long) and running around the desk. They were OK with that... But they aren't OK with plugging power strips into another extension device.

Getting dinged for the extension cord attached to the power strip always made me laugh

Getting dinged for the extension cord attached to the power strip always made me laugh

:D Yea well, I tried to get away with it. They were just more detailed in their search than what I thought.
The "extension cords" were actually some of those that had 3 plugins on the end of them, kindof a hybrid extension cord/power strip. I knew it was iffy, sure enough they made me change a few of those out.

Ehh, it happens I guess. I just can't get over when the fire inspector came through our place and the network engineer was like, "Wait, you mean I can't attach an extension cord to a power strip?". Needless to say his facial expression was priceless and his comment caused a bit of drama from the higher ups of the organization.

---UPDATE---

I've been working with our electrician and electrical inspector. Everyone who posted that this will not pass inspection is correct. The only way to do something like this and be up to code would be if the electrical and network drops are permanently mounted to the building not to ceiling tiles. Also any hanging cable must have a separate cable tension device mounted to the building structure that keeps the cables from being pulled down.

In short the reason why nobody does this is because it's ugly, it's more expensive than a distribution pole and since it's permanently mounted above the drop ceiling you get absolutely no benefit because it's just as hard to move a distribution pole as it would be to move this mess.

Tell him that there is a code called 802.11n that states "no terminated network jacks shall be mounted no more than 4 feet from the ground" or something.

I see this done at T-Mobile stores all the time.

They use coiled Network & Power Cables. Like whats on a corded telephone to a handset. So it doesn't look horrible I guess. Next time I'm in one I'll try to snap a pic and post. They do this for their computers spread around the store.

Tell management that the bits and volts can't travel straight up over that distance. It's too high. :rolleyes:

Call or visit your local Fire Dept and have them make a random visit to your workplace, once there they'll clearly see that is not safe and tell the owner to fix it within some certain time frame

Fire Departments don't do that sorta thing... Fire Marshalls are actually a little seperate then a fire department. its an outside division that handles local inspections. You'd actually want to call your town and speak to the buildings inspectors... fire inspectors will inspect fire things, they may not tell you if something is "up to code" but can tell you "thats blocking a fire exit, you need this type of material for this structure"

I see this done at T-Mobile stores all the time.

They use coiled Network & Power Cables. Like whats on a corded telephone to a handset. So it doesn't look horrible I guess. Next time I'm in one I'll try to snap a pic and post. They do this for their computers spread around the store.

This must be what the other guy keeps talking about because he keeps refering to something he saw at a best buy kiosk. I've never seen this product before but it would have to pretty durable to use with cubicles.

Running Cat5E right next to power isn't a great idea to start with. Then I have VOIP phones that use RTP so the network connection can't have any data loss. Then add onto that these cubicles will no doubt have people sneaking in space heaters, candle warmers and mini fridges. If it could provide up to 10 amps per drop and a certified gigabit internet connections it would work.

Back