network design help needed

skot

Limp Gawd
I am fairly new to designing networks and for a college assignment I need to design a network for a small company. There are 15 desktops that need Fast Ethernet/100Base-T and 5 pc's that need multimode fiber to connect to 2 servers.

My question is, do i need just one switch for this? I'm a little confused about how switches work and what is needed. I've been doing some reading and research, but I thought I would also get some advice from you guys.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Strange setup imo with the fiber and you'd probably have to look at very high end switches just to get a module for the fiber.

You could do it with one switch that is chassis based (meaning its a big box and you can put in multiple blades of 100baseT and fiber).I don't know what financial constraints are in your design, but that would be one way to do it.

Or you could design it with 1 24 port swich and use 5 fiber to copper transceivers. (not the best design but you could...)

Like Zlash said, that is kind of an odd design, having pc's that use fiber as their connection rather than copper. (Except Flecom's setup... which if i recall.. is all fiber:D )

I agree it is a strange setup, but it is a hypothetical situation, so there are also no finacial constraints. I'm just trying to find the best way to do this setup. The reason for the fiber is because "of increased level of electrical interference created by motors and other equipment in the production and shipping areas. "

So a switch that is chassis based is the best solution for this?

Or you could hire a consultant that specializes in these types of network installs. Seriously, if you want it done right I suggest bringing in a pro. No offence, but there is really no reason to take the matters into your own hands. The cost of a consultant is usually far less over the life of the network compared to when its build by a novice. And by your own admission you're a novice.

If you're still intent upon going at it alone, the first thing I suggest you do is make some enquiries as to whether or not fiber to the servers is really all that neccessary. 9 times out of 10 the hardest part of any network design is actually figuring out what the customer truly needs.

Oh, and it just so happens I'm from just down the road from you (follow Route 5 to ZIP code 44444 actually). And I'll be on leave in the area in May when I move back to the States. If you're interested I'd be more than happy to offer my services :)

Originally posted by BobSutan
Or you could hire a consultant that specializes in these types of network installs. Seriously, if you want it done right I suggest bringing in a pro. No offence, but there is really no reason to take the matters into your own hands. The cost of a consultant is usually far less over the life of the network compared to when its build by a novice. And by your own admission you're a novice.

If you're still intent upon going at it alone, the first thing I suggest you do is make some enquiries as to whether or not fiber to the servers is really all that neccessary. 9 times out of 10 the hardest part of any network design is actually figuring out what the customer truly needs.

This is just a networking lab assignment. It's not a real-world situation. Our professor just presented us with this problem and we need to come up with a solution.

Here is the actual question:
A small company has hired you to design a network for their existing computers. They currently have (15) stand-alone computers in the locations shown on the floor plan below. Two servers have been purchased and are located in the Equipment room. One of the problems faced by the computers in the production and shipping areas is the increased level of electrical interference created by motors and other equipment. These (5) computers will require fiber optic connections. Lines on the floor plan are hollow walls, not partitions. The false ceilings are 10 feet above the floor. The fire code requires plenum cable for the walls and ceiling.

You are to prepare a budget for the structured wiring system (cable, connectors, racks, faceplates…), and network electronics (NICs, media converters and switches). Include all the items that would be required to connect the computers to equipment in the equipment room. Your design should use switched - fast Ethernet to the desktop and Gigabit Ethernet to at least one of the servers.

I am having trouble determining what kind of equimpent I need for this situation.

I'm a little confused about how switches work and what is needed.

Surely if you're getting such a relatively advanced practical problem in class, you've covered the basics of network design, including how switches work??

You are to prepare a budget for the structured wiring system (cable, connectors, racks, faceplates…), and network electronics (NICs, media converters and switches). Include all the items that would be required to connect the computers to equipment in the equipment room. Your design should use switched - fast Ethernet to the desktop and Gigabit Ethernet to at least one of the servers.

I am having trouble determining what kind of equimpent I need for this situation.

That's a considerable amount of work. Why don't you do the research and figure out what you think you need and come back and ask for specific insight and opinions on whatever budget and equipment list you managed to come up with?

- Qualm

i would set it up like this
Code:
Server 1  Server 2
  |              |
  |              |
Fiber link Fiber link
  |              |
  |              |
  |              |
 Fiber Switch-----------------------------------------------------------------
  |              |            |              |              |            |
Fiber link     Fiber link    Fiber link     Fiber link     Fiber link    Fiber link
WS1             WS2          WS3           WS4            WS5    Fiber in/out on to 100base switch with either a fiber transcever or with fiber uplinks
                                                                                |
                                                                                |
                                                                                |
                                                                                |
                                                                                |
                                                                                |
                                                                                |
                                                                                |
                                                                                |
                                                                         Workstations 6-20 (each on its own cat5e or cat6 line to switch)

My main question was mentioned in my first post. I was just wondering if I could use one switch for both the ethernet and fiber. Darthkim answered that by suggesting a chassis based switch. I then asked if that would be the best route to go.

Thanks for your input dagamore. I'm not an expert at networks and have never done this before, so it's interesting to see how someone else would set it up.

A chassis based switch would be overkill for just this small of a network. A Catalyst 2950 would suffice since you only really need one or two Fiber connections to the server(s). I suggest you look at the 24 port with the 2 GBICs.

Originally posted by BobSutan
A chassis based switch would be overkill for just this small of a network. A Catalyst 2950 would suffice since you only really need one or two Fiber connections to the server(s). I suggest you look at the 24 port with the 2 GBICs.

Or an Allied Telesyn AT-8326GB switch with two 1000SX fiber GBICs. I got my switch brand new for $185 from eBay, and GBICs aren't much more expensive.

Back