Network components for home lab

m_cochran

Limp Gawd
What components do I need to get to set up a home network to start studying myself for the Network+ cert?

You don't need a lab for the Network+. Of course you can setup a lab if you want but Network+ just covers the basic stuff.

A Net+ book. The comptia + certs are all entry level and cover the basics. To me they are equivalent to a vocabulary test. If you just got the book and studied you would pass no problem, but those certs don't hold much weight to anyone but HR.

Like the posters above said, you don't need to have a home lab for it.
Grab a copy of the Network+ book - I went with Sybex Network+ book by Lammle at the time. Read up & Google for more info.

But...
If you'd like to get a practical feel for the basics, the components you'd need are simple -
A switch, a spare or old PC, a wireless router, some Cat5, etc.
Learn how to do basic file sharing, setting up a WAP, installing a NIC, making an ethernet cable - if you don't know how to already.

In my opinion, the practical route assists in learning the basic concepts faster plus it's just downright fun. :D

Like the posters above said, you don't need to have a home lab for it.
Grab a copy of the Network+ book - I went with Sybex Network+ book by Lammle at the time. Read up & Google for more info.

But...
If you'd like to get a practical feel for the basics, the components you'd need are simple -
A switch, a spare or old PC, a wireless router, some Cat5, etc.
Learn how to do basic file sharing, setting up a WAP, installing a NIC, making an ethernet cable - if you don't know how to already.

In my opinion, the practical route assists in learning the basic concepts faster plus it's just downright fun. :D

+1. Dont NEEED to build a lab but if you're looking for an excuse (i do the same) the above will be a good starter. You may even go so far as to set up Windows Server 2003 or 2008 as a little test domain controller if you feel like a getting crazy early on ;)

What I generally recommend to people looking to learn networking is.

1: An ESX / Hyper-V / XenServer / etc etc etc hypervisor. Preferably ESXi because it gives you more options.

2: A *nix based firewall. Weather your using something like CentOS with IPTables, or pfSense, or Untangle etc. Again gives your more options for firewalling, VPN, routing, IDS, etc. Personally I run mine on a ESXi box so that I can play around with multiple without having to have multiple hardware sets.

3: A Managed switch. Something preferably with a CLI. I find that the Dell Powerconnect 5324 is a good recommend because of the price.

4: A stand alone access point.

Basically this will give you all the pieces of a network you would need to learn and play with. With the server being virtual it makes throwing up extra servers extremely easy.

HP Procurve switches are also popular, Ive got a Dell Powerconnect 2724 and it's great. If i remember right i got it for under $100 on ebay.

What I generally recommend to people looking to learn networking is.

1: An ESX / Hyper-V / XenServer / etc etc etc hypervisor. Preferably ESXi because it gives you more options.

2: A *nix based firewall. Weather your using something like CentOS with IPTables, or pfSense, or Untangle etc. Again gives your more options for firewalling, VPN, routing, IDS, etc. Personally I run mine on a ESXi box so that I can play around with multiple without having to have multiple hardware sets.

3: A Managed switch. Something preferably with a CLI. I find that the Dell Powerconnect 5324 is a good recommend because of the price.

4: A stand alone access point.

Basically this will give you all the pieces of a network you would need to learn and play with. With the server being virtual it makes throwing up extra servers extremely easy.

Will look into that, just built a new computer so I have an old P-IV that I am looking at turning into a server to play with. Right now I have Ubuntu server loaded on it, simply because the CentOS would not load for some damn reason. Kept telling me it could not find the installation media even though the CD was in the drive.

Never could get CentOS to install for some reason, I did manage to get Ubuntu server up and running.

I have a question, could I use one of the small 8-port switches you can buy from a retail store to do the same thing as using one of the big rack mount switches that ya'll recommended?

I really can't tell a difference between them just from reading the descriptions.

Never could get CentOS to install for some reason, I did manage to get Ubuntu server up and running.

I have a question, could I use one of the small 8-port switches you can buy from a retail store to do the same thing as using one of the big rack mount switches that ya'll recommended?

I really can't tell a difference between them just from reading the descriptions.

sure, just get a gigabit one :)

If you want to learn networking you will need a smart (managed) switch. Most retail stores sell dummy switches.

Remember you can always start off small, but I would recommend these 4 things like others have pointed out.

1: a EXSi or Hyper-V server that can run several VM's at once with at least 2 nics.
2: A managed switch that has CLI
3: a old CLI router (cisco based)
4: an AP, or a router that can be set in AP only mode.

With this setup you will have everything you need to learn alot about networking.

Back