Network + certificate and Dec 31st.

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
It was brought to my attention that Comptia will start having people renew their certificates every three years starting 2011. So, if one gets his certificate and it expires. Does this expired cert have any value? I mean this one guy do have some network knowledge, otherwise he wouldn't have passed the earlier test. Or is it unless renewed, it is useless just like a blank piece of paper? How does that work?

The deadline is too close and I'm studying for it now, but I'm not sure if I can pass it before 2011. Lots of work:(

Thanks.

The technology changes constantly which is why you must renew. I just renewed my CCNA because I let it expire (big mistake) and I could not claim the certification on my resume. Keeping up with your certifications, in theory, is a good way to determine skill level. Expired certififications don't count for anything, in my opinion.

Additionally, even though your Net+ cert may be good forever doesn't mean that a potential employer is going to be impressed in 5 years. You always want to be moving upward. Don't sit still with one certification.

If it was expired and you listed it on a resume, I'd feel dirty about that. You could mention it, but word it like you HAD it not, not CURRENTLY have it. I write Network+ tomorrow and then start on Security+ so I can write it next month. My employer pays for them all so I may as well take them. CompTIA stuff you shouldn't need to study for more than 3,4 weeks if you are serious about it.

took me 3-4 weeks of studying and i passed network+ with a decent score last week. i just started studying for security+ now and plan to take it by year end.

If you pass A+, Network+, or Security+ by the end of 2010, the certification is good for life. Otherwise, you'll have to renew every 3 years like the rest of the CompTIA certs. I recently got my A+ and Network+, and am waiting to get my voucher in for my Security+. The Network+ was pretty tough but I still passed with an 845 ish.

Thing is with the CompTIA certs is a lot of the questions are based on their troubleshooting model. They want to know at what step you would document changes you've made, etc. Just stupid stuff that really doesn't matter. I'll write it down, stick it in my coat pocket, forget about it for two weeks, then hopefully remember to make the change on the paperwork at the office before I wash my jacket. Deal with it!

Last edited:
The Network + is pretty easy, I wouldn't study too hard for that, I could pass it again right now with my eyes closed. I think though next year the number of people becoming net+ certified will go down because it doesn't carry as much weight in the industry, and people won't want to keep paying for that. So pretty much Comptia is shooting themselves in the foot with this one. I would rather renew my CCNA every three years than spend the time and money renewing something as insignificant as the net+.

I agree, the number of people certifying in CompTIA certifications will probably be lower next year, as they're sort of entry-level certifications.

And the time to study and recertify could be better applied to the Cisco, VMware, Microsoft or other vendor certification raquets.

Vendors list those as higher-level certifications (CCNA, CCNP, CCVP, MCTIP, MCSE, VCP, VCXDGLMNOP or whatever other certifications VMware have developed).

Network+ is easy if you have networking experience but otherwise you'll have to look at the CompTIA objectives and read the book.

I got my A+ in March. I was going to get Network+ by year's end, but I decided to go after CCNA, MCP, and VCP(in that order) instead.

A+ and Network+ aren't useless. They are good for an entry-level position when you don't really have any paid experience, but certs like those listed above(CCNA, MCP, VCP, MSCE, etc) mean a lot more in the long run.

Network+ is pretty easy. From what I've heard, you really don't even need to know subnetting or CIDR to pass it. If you understand things like TCP/IP, ping, traceroute, subnet masks, dhcp, dns, networking devices like nics, cables, routers, switches, and the 5 ip address classes, then you should be able to pass it with no problems.

Lord Nassirbannipal,

If you study CCNA, you'll probably be a hop, skip and jump away from Net+. From my recollections, the only info you'd be missing is some of the IEEE standards, Linux, Apple and Windows-associated stuff. It really isn't a difficult test if you have previous network experience or have studied for MCP and CCNA.

By the time a Net+ expires in 3 years you shouldn't care...you should be well beyond that and not even listing it on your resume. I see CompTIA certs as single job certs.

By the time a Net+ expires in 3 years you shouldn't care...you should be well beyond that and not even listing it on your resume. I see CompTIA certs as single job certs.

You should always list it...even if you have something better.

It's good for 3 years. If you are going for a network position, I'd hope you've moved past the basic Net+ stuff and went for Cisco or Juniper or whatever which overshadow the CompTIA cert. I like CompTIA certs, they are great. But, they are also entry level. Mine are good for life, but the majority of them are pretty worthless because of the more advanced certs I've obtained since then.

Personally I list all my certs on my resume regardless of how old they are or if they are "expired". If someone asks me which ones are current or not I tell them though. Never lie in a job interview in even the smallest way. It'll come back to haunt you eventually.

My A+ cert is over 10 years old now and had questions about Windows 3.11 and DOS on it but all the basics are still just as applicable now as they were then. I have no intention of retaking that test ever though. It's just far too basic; we're not talking about something like a CCIE R&S which is a bit more important to keep renewing if it's still relevant to your current job.

You should always list it...even if you have something better.

This I absolutely disagree with for almost everyone. If you're moving up in your career as you should the Net+ won't matter in 10 years. Plus, if you're doing what you should then resume space becomes a problem and things like the Net+ are quickly cut to make room for more relevant information.

Keeping up with your certifications, in theory, is a good way to determine skill level. Expired certififications don't count for anything, in my opinion.

The keywords there is "in theory"

While yes "in theory" certifications determine skill level this just isn't true anymore. People were getting the Microsoft certifications like no other by just memorizing the book and when it came to applying those concepts in real life it was discovered they knew jack shit.

While I am a big supporter in certifications, just trying to get certifications too beef your resume may not work well in the end. I know so many people going for the CCNA, MCITP, etc and not caring about the material besides whats needed to pass the test. Go for the certifications you are actually are interested in and would apply the concepts after you pass the test.

I know so many people going for the CCNA, MCITP, etc and not caring about the material besides whats needed to pass the test. Go for the certifications you are actually are interested in and would apply the concepts after you pass the test.

I know a lot of people like that too. I say they have a Pokemon like, "Gotta catch them all mentality."

If the path is to get a specific job with a specific task or to learn something, then certifications are good. But there's definitely a misconception about the more certifications,the better.

I have a "buddy" who goes around and will let people know he's a MCSE, MCTIP, Net+, Sec+, CCNA, etc. I taught the guy CCNA and we got to Module 4, Accessing the WAN. And he ended up failing the module final (and barely passing the retake). He failed the skills assessment. He did okay (70s) on the practice CCNA examinations. Two weeks later, he got a 940+ on the CCNA exam. I've known this guy, so I know he refers to test prep before he takes an examination. I sort of lost respect for him, since a few weeks ago, he performed so poorly. And to make it worse, he was bragging about it.

Fast forward a few more weeks, he's in a class. There's a problem with a lab one of his new instructors made. The problem is specific to active directory/DNS. As an MCTIP, you'd expect to be able to resolve it. He didn't.

But it's off topic. The Net+ is a good entry-level test for someone who is getting into networking to get.

Lord Nassirbannipal,

If you study CCNA, you'll probably be a hop, skip and jump away from Net+. From my recollections, the only info you'd be missing is some of the IEEE standards, Linux, Apple and Windows-associated stuff. It really isn't a difficult test if you have previous network experience or have studied for MCP and CCNA.

Yeah, I don't doubt that I could go and take the Network+ exam right now and easily pass it, but I since I'm going for CCNA, Network+ wouldn't really matter in the long run other than padding my resume.

This I absolutely disagree with for almost everyone. If you're moving up in your career as you should the Net+ won't matter in 10 years. Plus, if you're doing what you should then resume space becomes a problem and things like the Net+ are quickly cut to make room for more relevant information.
That would be like me not including my associates degree because I have a bachelors. I include everything and I guess everyone is different when it comes to how they write their resume's.

I personally look at it as steps in a ladder, or goals for myself. I've been working in IT for 10 years and have no college degree and actually dropped out of high school but obtained my GED (lol). For that reason my resume is severely lacking in the education department and I wanted to start achieving things. I got my Net+ two weeks ago and am studying for my Security+ now which I hope to obtain before the end of the year. After that I'll go for MCITP or CCNA or CISSP, I haven't decided which direction I want to go in yet.

I know the CompTIA certs are generally laughed at by the pros but I think they're great starting points. I wanted it, I got it, I'll always have it and now I can reach for that next step in the ladder. I have the years of experience so now I'm aiming at getting the papers.

While the mcitp and ccna,cissp are higher more respected certs they don't reflect any computer hardware knowledge. Now i understand if you have these you would assume that they have some hardware knowledge but has far as certs go though they don't. So is the a+ still worthwhile to have?.

I think it just depends who you ask. Most will tell you not to bother with it and to aim for something higher while others will tell you to go for it. I'm one of the ones to tell you to go for it, why not? If nothing else you will learn some things you didn't know before!

I went and passed the exams for Net+ and Security+, I figured I might as well get them (I had vouchers for both exams anyway). Easy exams compared to some of the other performance based stuff but never hurts to have on the resume.

While the mcitp and ccna,cissp are higher more respected certs they don't reflect any computer hardware knowledge. Now i understand if you have these you would assume that they have some hardware knowledge but has far as certs go though they don't. So is the a+ still worthwhile to have?.

I've actually met people with CCNA, MCP, and MCSE who couldn't do basic PC troubleshooting.

I know a lot of people like that too. I say they have a Pokemon like, "Gotta catch them all mentality."

If the path is to get a specific job with a specific task or to learn something, then certifications are good. But there's definitely a misconception about the more certifications,the better.

I have a "buddy" who goes around and will let people know he's a MCSE, MCTIP, Net+, Sec+, CCNA, etc. I taught the guy CCNA and we got to Module 4, Accessing the WAN. And he ended up failing the module final (and barely passing the retake). He failed the skills assessment. He did okay (70s) on the practice CCNA examinations. Two weeks later, he got a 940+ on the CCNA exam. I've known this guy, so I know he refers to test prep before he takes an examination. I sort of lost respect for him, since a few weeks ago, he performed so poorly. And to make it worse, he was bragging about it.

Fast forward a few more weeks, he's in a class. There's a problem with a lab one of his new instructors made. The problem is specific to active directory/DNS. As an MCTIP, you'd expect to be able to resolve it. He didn't.

But it's off topic. The Net+ is a good entry-level test for someone who is getting into networking to get.

That's gotta be the first time I've ever heard of anyone reference Pokemon and Certs in the same sentence... Your story has more bearing to this thread that I think many people realize. Too many people are just rushing through these certs based on prep material rather than comprehending the theory. Around the dot.com bubble burst it was referred to as a paper-cert. As the quotee mentioned, the "I got the cert, but I don't know how to apply it" mentality.

Back on-topic, is the Net+ cert relavent? Yes, in the earlier stages of your career. Later on, you'll have much more important and advanced certs to reference that will most likely push the Net+ off the edge of your res. Not because it's crap, just because it's entry-level.

That's gotta be the first time I've ever heard of anyone reference Pokemon and Certs in the same sentence... Your story has more bearing to this thread that I think many people realize. Too many people are just rushing through these certs based on prep material rather than comprehending the theory. Around the dot.com bubble burst it was referred to as a paper-cert. As the quotee mentioned, the "I got the cert, but I don't know how to apply it" mentality.

I work in an environment where my peers are all instructors. A good chunk are paper this or that. I had one, who I taught (but I guess didn't want to completely apply himself or had bad study habits) pass the cert (after using P4sure), and he would come to me every so often to ask me questions about concepts and subjects. I come to find out that he was actually teaching his students the test for the Netacad quizzes. And honestly, this mentality is extremely prevalent in the industry. I just peruse the boards and see it. I'm a fan of Cisco on Facebook and see people ask for test prep on there (like they have no common sense).

But back to the topic. Like Nate said, if you're starting out in networking, Net+, A+, Server+ or whatever CompTIA certs are good entry-level certifications to give yourself a good foundation.

Back