Network Card not renewing

Wang191

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm working on a computer that when i try ipconfig /renew

it says "The following error occcured renewing local area connection: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket."

if i try to renew the specific adapter ipconfig /renew t*
it says it's not bound to tcp/ip

This comptuer will not get a proper IP address.

Any ideas.

Try the old windwos trick of uninstall the card and reinstall it.

I try disable and enable and a reboot on my laptop first, I get thoes errors time to time

I tried both of those things. Still no luck.
The card is sending out packets but not recieving any. I then tried to assign it an ip addy manually. I was then able to ping the gateway and other comptuers on the network but that's it. It only recieved those packets from the ping. Any other transmission and it won't get squat.

You weren't by any chance playing with attempting to connect to a VPN in windows were you ?

That kept happening to a friend of mine after he attempted to get windows to connect to a VPN. Is the ip that the computer is showing the one that it is statically set to or dhcped, or is it the internal windows one ?

If its the internal one, and you WERE playing with vpn, then uninstalled the card / everything in networking didn't help u either eh ?

Like I said this happened to a friend of mine's pc when we were mucking around with vpn, needless to say he shall never connect to another :)

Reinstall was required, if ya figure it out lmk too :)

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

You can try tihs program, now sure if it will help.

If not remove all the network cards (and modems)

Open the registry and delete all keys that say winsock.

Then reinstall your network cards.

NOTE: registry work can be dangerous and I have not had to do this on an NT box, only a 9x box.

i got that at work once fixing a clients computer, i tried damn near everything, incuding EXACTLY what ms said to do.

in the end i said F it, and just formatted, before i fomatted i insatlled sp1 since it wasnt installed, that didnt even fix it. so i wrote off the time spent and did the best thing.

Back