Network Cable Woes

p3n

Gawd
Ok ive recently got myself a crimping tool, some connectors and a reel of cat5e cable, along with that i resently got a few wall sockets and an IDC tool.

Now the plan was to stop having a 3 meter pre-fabricated cabling connection my router to my switch etc etc :)

The second plan was to make the wiring a little more permanent.

The router/switch are downstairs and their are two computers upstairs, all 3 rooms were going to have a wall socket.

We have the carpet up at the moment whilst we have a new one fitted, this seemed like the perfect oportunity, and so i lay some rough cables down one evening (man its hot atm), the next day i put a connector on one end and attach to the switch and one end to the wall socket .... long story short none of my connections 'work'

The switch and router are satisfied there is a 100 mpbs 'link' as is windows, but dhcp or any other network traffic will go through!

I'd only made a short cable to connect my router/ switch until yesterday it seems like long cables just dont work ?!

Is there anything obvious im doing wrong, ive tried just making a cable long enuf and running it anywhere without any sharp corners or anything ... man this sucks

is it possible a whole reel of cable is defunct ?!?!?

ive never had bad cable. my problems have always been that i didnt crimp it right.

B

Ok ... straight thru cables, pins either end just match, right ?

and when crimping how hard should you push ?!

what kind of crimpers to you have? i press as hard as i feel like that day, as long as they don't pop off its hard enough, also, check to make sure your wire come to the end of the connectors or at least to the contact points

sounds like you solved your problem, just follow the guide you will be fine

woohoo

why do I always learn IT stuff from mistakes :(

ah well, its finally in and my mother and sisters pc's are dhcp'd up

ill get some pictures of my efforts 2moz

thanks everyone >8]

Uh yea, straight through cables are for consoling into things like switchs and definately won't work for you. Just follow the standards...B is the most common one to follow.

p3n said:
why do I always learn IT stuff from mistakes :(

hey sometimes that is the best way to learn, unless you break something and create a lot of work for other people, they tend not to like that very much

Anytime I learn to crimp a different kind of cable I sit down at the kitchen table with some connectors and some scrap cable to perfect the process.

Back