Network bandwith monitoring

Inu

[H]ard|Gawd
Here is my situation i have four people who game on my network, and they arent allowed to download through bittorent client programs except after midnight, although some people are, i was wondering if there is a utility out there that can allow me to easily monitor how much bandwith a certain person on the network is using. I tried ethreal but that program goes way over my head. Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

Alternatively if you can get your hands on a WRT54G v4 or lower you could get a third party firmware that supports QOS, you could put some bandwidth restrictions in place.

A wrt with custom firmware would be the best bet. Or you could get another network card and have all traffic go through your computer, then just get an ap like DU meter.

If your switch or router does SNMP you can try Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor.

Without a really nice switch I don't believe that would be easy to do. Most bandwidth monitoring software monitors from outside the network via SNMP (i believe thats the one).

Since it monitors it from outside the network you will only be able to get the total bandwidth coming out of your connection. Without the right hardware I'm not too sure how you would monitor each individual node's bandwidth on the router.

Somewhat echoing everyone else...

If your router will support SNMP, you can run MRTG on a system inside your network and poll the router for bandwidth stats. Depending on how detailed the SNMP tree gets, you might just get the total bandwidth being used on the WAN interface, or the total bandwidth being used on each switchport. More likely it'll be the first of the two with a home device.

install snmp for windows and then download and configure cacti or mrtg (google them)

might be hard on windows (you would need rrdtool, perl, maybe some other stuff i can't be arsed to look up at the moment)

kk im gonna check this stuff out thanks for the replys

Kristo said:
install snmp for windows and then download and configure cacti or mrtg (google them)

might be hard on windows (you would need rrdtool, perl, maybe some other stuff i can't be arsed to look up at the moment)

Tried to the MRTG on Windows route and it is nowhere close to being a nice install. Perl, Apache, RRD, all that crap, and it all has to be certain versions dependant on other versions.
Good lord. I gave up and did What's UP Pro. point --> Click--> Graph.
I love it.

You don't need Apache for MRTG. I run it on a Windows box with IIS. IIRC, all I had to install was ActivePerl, which was just a few clicks.

Fint said:
You don't need Apache for MRTG. I run it on a Windows box with IIS. IIRC, all I had to install was ActivePerl, which was just a few clicks.

The flavor I used recommended Active Perl and Apcahe. I didn't want to run IIS on the box I was using, but it's good to know it can handle it.

Yup. Just install the PERL extensions on Windows and it'll run fine with IIS.

I used FireDaemon to control the running of MRTG as a service. It also let me poll with shorter intervals.

Back