Network bandwidth monitoring.

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
Can anyone recommend what I can do to monitor the bandwidth on my companies network
thx

Techx said:
Can anyone recommend what I can do to monitor the bandwidth on my companies network
thx

Can you be more precise as to what and why you want to monitor bandwidth? A budget would be helpful as well.

Well, we have streaming survelliance video over the network in addition to internet, other custom apps, email, etc. Some of the video takes forever to load and stream, so I thought there might be an issue with the bandwidth from that server, over some fiber, through a few switches to get to my building. I guess I'm just looking for a cheap app. that can give me some feedback if we are fully utilising all the bandwidth through the fiber/switches or if it's an issue with the survelliance server itself..
thanks

Techx said:
Well, we have streaming survelliance video over the network in addition to internet, other custom apps, email, etc. Some of the video takes forever to load and stream, so I thought there might be an issue with the bandwidth from that server, over some fiber, through a few switches to get to my building. I guess I'm just looking for a cheap app. that can give me some feedback if we are fully utilising all the bandwidth through the fiber/switches or if it's an issue with the survelliance server itself..
thanks

whats the server running? linux or windows?

2000 and xp come with a performance monitor and you can do that remotly over the network if you have the right permissions(admin password) to do so.

codegrinder said:

2000 and xp come with a performance monitor and you can do that remotly over the network if you have the right permissions(admin password) to do so.

Peformance monitor only works with Windows based systems, however if he wants to get a high level view of systems and interconnected networks, then he'll need MRTG or the likes.

SJConsultant said:
Peformance monitor only works with Windows based systems, however if he wants to get a high level view of systems and interconnected networks, then he'll need MRTG or the likes.

yea, that's why I asked. but then again looking at the post he says "cheap application". And I've looked at a lot of surveillance servers and not to many run Linux, other then the ones where its integrated in the camera. so more or less its an (ass)umption.

codegrinder said:

it's windows based

i assume your switches are actually of the manageable variety? if not then there is no point reading any further into my reply!

'prtg' can be used on a windows pc, the free version allows you to monitor a single port ... just enter the switches ip address - it interrogates the switch using standard bridge mibs and then you just choose whichever port you want to monitor. you can customise the views of the graphs with regards to how much data it shows if you so wish.

if you want to monitor more than one port using the freeware version just install it multiple times to different directories and run each copy independantly.

Back