network+ and security+ certification exams

i have passed the microsoft exams needed for an MCSE and MCDBA certification. i am getting ready to get a new job and thought a security cert would be helpful. i think the SANS institute/GIAC security certs are the best, but i don't have the time, money, or energy for those at the moment so i thought the network+ and security+ compTIA certs would be easier to add to the old resume.

this thread is NOT for debating the merits of certifications. i am granting that there are better security certs out there as well. if you think these are REALLY COMPLETELY WORTHLESS certs then perhaps chime in. but mainly i want to know how hard these are. compare them to the MCSE/MCDBA exams if you can to give me a point of reference.

also note the books and practice tests you used and whether you passed or not. do i need to take the network+ to pass the security+ exam?

in short- i know exams are mostly resume fodder. i do have experience to back them up, but i want the cert to give me just that little boost over other applicants. let me know what it's going to take to add one or both of these to the ol' resume.

thanks in advance,
big boi

I haven't done Security+ yet.

I do have my MCSA, still working on MCSE.

I grabbed the Mike Myer's Network+ book, read it in 2 weeks and took the test. If you can do the 216 test for MCSE/MCSA, then Network+ will be easy. There is more IPX stuff, a few questions on linux, and a bit more in depth on the OSI layers, but you've already done 85% of the test.

By the way, Myer's book was far and away the best certification book I've ever read. Very easy to read and had just a shit load of information.

Network plus is pretty easy. I studied from the element k courseware. I sat the security plus just making sure I was aware of the test objectives. The information wasnt too difficult but I must say that the exam was very poorly written. Could be because this is the first revision of the exam

If you're looking for a networking test go for the CCNA 640-801 test. It'll give you a better grasp on networking over any other networking exam.

mmmm, not looking for a networking exam really although i'll take the suggestion under advisement. mainly i want a security cert. in the long run i'd like to go through some of the SANS institute courses and some of the GIAC exams, but that means spending a ton of money and i'm about to start a new semester so the time and effort won't be there either.

Originally posted by TrechMaggotface
Network plus is pretty easy. I studied from the element k courseware. I sat the security plus just making sure I was aware of the test objectives. The information wasnt too difficult but I must say that the exam was very poorly written. Could be because this is the first revision of the exam

i'd hate to fail due to vague questions on a poorly written test. when was this? you mean if i sign up now i'm one of the early adopters on this cert?

also, i've been thinking about the CCNA suggestion. have you taken the network+ exam shade91? what do you have to compare it to when you say "It'll give you a better grasp on networking over any other networking exam."

Originally posted by big daddy fatsacks
i'd hate to fail due to vague questions on a poorly written test. when was this? you mean if i sign up now i'm one of the early adopters on this cert?

also, i've been thinking about the CCNA suggestion. have you taken the network+ exam shade91? what do you have to compare it to when you say "It'll give you a better grasp on networking over any other networking exam."
Not an extremely early adopter but the test just went live like q3 of last year.

This and this place have pretty good practice exams for Network+. I also found techexam.net's study guides to be very useful when I was preparing for the exam.

Originally posted by TrechMaggotface
Not an extremely early adopter but the test just went live like q3 of last year.
Q3 of 2003 or 2002?

I took it in Q2 of 2003; so there's no way it went live in 2003.

I used the Mike Myers All-In-One Certification Network+ Exam (as listed below).

I read the book; understood the concepts (but it was also intertwined with school ciriculum) and I took it and I passed. Just make sure you know ... as much as you can.

Originally posted by fibroptikl
Q3 of 2003 or 2002?

I took it in Q2 of 2003; so there's no way it went live in 2003.

I used the Mike Myers All-In-One Certification Network+ Exam (as listed below).

I read the book; understood the concepts (but it was also intertwined with school ciriculum) and I took it and I passed. Just make sure you know ... as much as you can.
From what I understood the test went live last year. I dunno. Maybe www.comptia.org will have a better answer than me

looks like they announced it in 2002 and it didn't pass the beta stage till the crack of 2003 or thereabouts.

http://www.comptia.org/pressroom/get_news_item.asp?id=20

also, now that i'm being indecisive- are there opinions on which would be a better investment of my time? the CCNA or Network+? i'm interested in which i will learn more about networking from (well, from studying for it) as well as which one would be better for the resume.

thanks again

I'd definetley say the CCNA. If you can get your CCNA, then Network+ won't be as hard either.

Back