Network Access\Terminal\Console Servers

USF-Nealio

Limp Gawd
Do any [H]ard members still use these? Is there a better alternative to remotely connecting to a serial device.

telnet...

j/k

answer is no i think.... if you're referring to strictly out-of-band management of networking equipment...

That's the answer I was expecting.

Here's my situation. I have recently acquired some home theater equipment that can only be managed by RS232 (HDMI switcher, motorized TV Mount, etc.). I was contemplating the purchase and use of a console server to allow for control of these devices across (and form the outside) of my network.

Any thoughts?

We've used Baytech and PushkaBlue boxes for years at work and they are great. The plus with these is they allow remote power control. I've got an MRV LX I aws given for my home but old Cisco 2509 and 2511 are easily acquired from ebay or craigslist for cheap.

I was actually looking at an MRV LX on ebay. You wouldn't happen to be that guy would you?

Nope not the guy, I'm using mine and more less happy with it. I do find it to be a little quirky i.e when rebooting any of my Cisco it drops the connection causing me to have to reconnect which none of the boxes we use at work display this problem. Other than that it is okay. I got mine for free but if I were buying one unless the price difference was huge I'd go with a Cisco box. I will add my MRV has old code and I've been unable to get a copy of the newer firmware.

That's the answer I was expecting.

Here's my situation. I have recently acquired some home theater equipment that can only be managed by RS232 (HDMI switcher, motorized TV Mount, etc.). I was contemplating the purchase and use of a console server to allow for control of these devices across (and form the outside) of my network.

Any thoughts?

do you run a HTPC? could probably use serial adapters on it... putty... good to go....

I do, but the board has no serial ports, and I'm out of expansion slots. The cost of purchasing 3-4 decent USB-Serial dongles puts me in the price range of a (Basically obsolete) terminal/console server.

oh wow, i didn't realize they were that cheap... well then yea, go for it...

Console servers still have a place as a backup. I have all of my network gear connected to one in my colo. If for whatever reason something happens to my network equipment or internet connection I can remote into the console server via 56k modem. It is cheap insurance.

I also have an MRV In-Reach, IR-8048. 48 ports, earlier style (white instead of black.) I got it for $50 off eBay. Less than half the price I was going to have to pay for an 8 or 16 port Cisco access server. I'm extremely happy with it. I also like that it just uses patch cables, instead of requiring a squid-looking bundle of cables. So I can just cut a bit of CAT5 and set them up as needed and be good.

(Cabling: one end is a standard 568B, while the other has pins 2-7 rolled.)

Back