Netgear, wndr3700v1 to wndr3700v3 results in lag.

jonny4

Weaksauce
My Netgear wndr3700v1's wan port was damaged in an electrical storm, thanks internet provider for not allowing me to ground the cable line, and would only connect at 100Mb instead of 1Gb so I ordered the same router again but ended up with v3. Now for some reason on any connected PC in the house I get lag anytime I try and do anything on the internet. Both routers are configured exactly the same and the lag problem was not present with the Version 1 router. Now I ordered the wndr3700 because I wasn't going to pay $169.99 for the wndr4500 when the 802.11ac routers are coming out but I also wasn't going to buy an 802.11ac router until the spec is finalized. Now could my problem be caused by the different hardware? Do I have a bad router? The electrical surge came through the cable line into cable modem and then into the router but thankfully stopped there. The modem was replaced 2 weeks before the router and the lag wasn't present with the old version 1 router on the new modem. I can send it back and replace it with a new version 3 or a new router completely but I would like some second opinions first. I am posting here because no one on any of the networking sites has even responded.

What do you mean "lag". Have you used the ping command? Is it laggy browsing regular web pages? Is youtube streaming slower than before? Has your latency in ms increased in video games?

edit: also, i'm not sure grounding the cable would be enough to save your equipment, usually you want some form of surge protector for that, they make them for phones lines and ethernet lines too.

edit2: the only thing i could think of that would create a "website lag" is that the new router has some different default DNS settings from the old router, which should be very easy to fix. I can't think of anything else that doesn't sound fishy, but please give us more details on the lag problem.

laggy browsing regular pages, I haven't tried gaming and Youtube i don't watch a lot. I meant put the cable on a surge protector, internet provider won't repair anything if you do that.

control panel > network and sharing > change adapter settings > {right click} [your adapter here] > properties > {select} Internet Protocol Version 4 > Properties > Use the following DNS server addresses > {type 8.8.8.8 in the preferred field and press ok} > press close

restart your browser and try it again, any different?

if that doesn't fix it can you also:
start menu > {type "cmd" in the search dialog and press enter} > {type "ping 8.8.8.8"} > {once complete type "ping www.yahoo.com"}

and post the results here?

laggy browsing regular pages, I haven't tried gaming and Youtube i don't watch a lot. I meant put the cable on a surge protector, internet provider won't repair anything if you do that.

Those surge protectors kill your signal. If you want protection sink a copper rod out by the box on the side of your house. Usually your drop will go to a splitter in that box. Ground that first splitter to your copper ground rod.

Those surge protectors kill your signal. If you want protection sink a copper rod out by the box on the side of your house. Usually your drop will go to a splitter in that box. Ground that first splitter to your copper ground rod.

That is already done.

That is already done.

Having lighting coming up through the ground is probably what fried it in the first place.

There really isn't much you can do about power coming through ground.

Surge protectors really only protect the hot and neutral lines... ground is never really protected at all from what I have seen from equipment being fried by lightning.

Just be glad that the lightning didn't make it all the way to your computer or else you would have had at least 1 chip with a hole blown in it.

Back