Netgear Wireless Modem...

CBlakeNS

Gawd
Okay so I have this modem..well it looks like this:
dg834gb_w300.jpg

Edit: REFER TO BOTTOM POST, Thanks!!

Okay well apparently its not loose because I just tighten the thing in the back, however I mean I cant even go chill in my room and get on the wiress....the signal is too low however it works sometimes..

Is there any way I can improve the signal?

where is the unit located is it a 2 level house? and the unit is downstairs and you are upstars? how far away are you from it?

I had a friend who had one of those netgears he got a low signal from the damn thing and it was approximately 30 ft. away, lately ive been hooking up netgear crap for other people and in my opinion it sux.

Javelin3o4 said:
where is the unit located is it a 2 level house? and the unit is downstairs and you are upstars? how far away are you from it?

I had a friend who had one of those netgears he got a low signal from the damn thing and it was approximately 30 ft. away, lately ive been hooking up netgear crap for other people and in my opinion it sux.

No its only 1 story.

However it must just be because of all the walls that it goes through.

Ok, I am going to attempt yo translate your thread into english. Let me know if I am on the right track.

You have a Netgear wireless router (it is not a modem) in your home. You have a one story house and the signal strength is very weak, even in the same room as the router.

Am I on the right track?

If so, what are you accessing the wireless with. Is it a laptop? Does it work with other wireless access points without any trouble or is this the only time you have tried using wireless. If this is your first time using wireless head down to a locla starbucks or Barnes and Noble and see if they have a wireless AP that you can try connecting to.

I have seen several laptops where the internal wireless card has the antenna disconnected or completely missing.

Also, if you have a friend who has a wireless laptop have him or her try accessing your network.

I use a Netgear router for my home access and I can use my Pocket PC to access the internet while lying in a hammock in my back yard. I have even used it at my neighbor's house. Wireless is never perfect, but you should get a decent signal if you are in the same room at the very least.

Phandalyon said:
Ok, I am going to attempt yo translate your thread into english. Let me know if I am on the right track.

You have a Netgear wireless router (it is not a modem) in your home. You have a one story house and the signal strength is very weak, even in the same room as the router.

Am I on the right track?

If so, what are you accessing the wireless with. Is it a laptop? Does it work with other wireless access points without any trouble or is this the only time you have tried using wireless. If this is your first time using wireless head down to a locla starbucks or Barnes and Noble and see if they have a wireless AP that you can try connecting to.

I have seen several laptops where the internal wireless card has the antenna disconnected or completely missing.

Also, if you have a friend who has a wireless laptop have him or her try accessing your network.

I use a Netgear router for my home access and I can use my Pocket PC to access the internet while lying in a hammock in my back yard. I have even used it at my neighbor's house. Wireless is never perfect, but you should get a decent signal if you are in the same room at the very least.

No you are not on the right track. It is a router and a modem considering the cable line screws in the back of it.

I get fine signal in the room right beside the modem, however if I go into the den or the kitchen it goes to very low and that isnt very far from it.

Yes im connecting through the wireless with a laptop and no its not the first time ive used wireless. Ive connected at different hotels we have stayed at etc. Also its a external wireless card.

I have a few friends with wireless laptops so ill have them try it.

Check for EM interference. cordless phones, speakers, appliances (fridge for example), monitor, etc. should all be at least 3 ft away from the unit. Is it on a desk, on the floor behind something? Move it up to higher ground, it will help. Still no good? log into the router and change the channel/frequency it is running at. Set it at 1, 6, or 11, but something different than what it is now. BTW, same EM issues/recommendations apply to your comp too.

::edit::
Also, some materials eat wireless signals, like marble/granite for example just suck it up.

I changed the channel and moved it to a higher location and that helped alot.

So now I get very good to good connection in my room and most places in the house.

Glad I could help. Used to do support for a DSL company. Saw your issue a lot.

Yeah it helped alot...however I think it would help more if it didnt have to go through so many walls!!

Back