Netgear UTM's anyone ?

think they have a review on smallnetbuilder

or i think Jim did a review on it and didn't like it.

I really like them than a again we are a partner of Netgear.

I will say I didn't have high hopes for them but they do what they are suppose to and I have not had any blow up on me. I have been installing them since they were released something like a year or two ago. Very easy to setup and maintain also backup but that is just my two cents.

I really like them than a again we are a partner of Netgear.

I will say I didn't have high hopes for them but they do what they are suppose to and I have not had any blow up on me. I have been installing them since they were released something like a year or two ago. Very easy to setup and maintain also backup but that is just my two cents.

that is what i wanted to hear, i just became a partner and wanted to see if i can take advantage of a oem or NFR unit for home, do they offer this ?

I can't remember what are dealer discount was but it was dirt cheap. I would take advantage of it try it, you never know if you are going to like a product till you try it anyways.

Depending on your partner level with Netgear you get a special dealer discount based on that level.

I can't remember what are dealer discount was but it was dirt cheap. I would take advantage of it try it, you never know if you are going to like a product till you try it anyways.

Depending on your partner level with Netgear you get a special dealer discount based on that level.

Have you configured them with macs and stuff ? I had a Sonicwall TZ210, and a ssl vpn on my mac that gave me access to the home network.

Coworker installed one at a side job the other day. His boss for the part time gig seems to really like them. Coworker didn't seem to say anything bad about it once he got it working. Had issues connecting it to fios but he got it resolved once he reset the nid.

Coworker installed one at a side job the other day. His boss for the part time gig seems to really like them. Coworker didn't seem to say anything bad about it once he got it working. Had issues connecting it to fios but he got it resolved once he reset the nid.

Id like to know if it supports :

ssl with vpn and mac's
Multiple V'lans or multiple subnets
fail over

Might pick up a utm25 at partner pricing looks pretty decent :) A'lot cheaper than sonicwall NFR's

Also might pickup a 24 port gigabit managed switch, and maybe start selling these after I take some product training and installation courses ( provided through partner account )

Dash.

It was for a small office and it was put in for content filtering. Can't speak on the vpn support.

thanks for the links marley,

I'm not a fan of those Cisco's tried one and hated it.

You sure you have used this one? That's very new maybe a month old. Don't get it mix with the rvs or older rv042 models. This one so far seems great.

great features and great review.
Posted via Mobile Device

You sure you have used this one? That's very new maybe a month old. Don't get it mix with the rvs or older rv042 models. This one so far seems great.

great features and great review.
Posted via Mobile Device

Probably have it mixed up, do you have any prices for one of those units ? With the 1 year subscription, with unit. Non wireless tho.

No idea about theyearly buy thr unit of around 280
Posted via Mobile Device

Id like to know if it supports :

ssl with vpn and mac's
Multiple V'lans or multiple subnets
fail over

Might pick up a utm25 at partner pricing looks pretty decent :) A'lot cheaper than sonicwall NFR's

Also might pickup a 24 port gigabit managed switch, and maybe start selling these after I take some product training and installation courses ( provided through partner account )

Dash.

It does all you ask. The SSL Support is a little bla though. I would check in to that one a little more before going with it for that reason. The other two optioins work great though :D

The Netgear UTM's are pretty decent for the price, the subscription price is also quite nice. If I remember right, it does support VLAN's although it is probably a little quirky to set up, I'm not 100% sure if it supports VLAN tagging (yes I know, a little on the asinine side). The normal VPN combined with IPSecuritas or Shrewsoft is pretty decent.

The spam filtering is also very nice, I was able to get a client off of Mcafee's online spam filtering and put them into a UTM25 w/ no problems.

For the dealer program they provide, what it actually is, is you are allowed to purchase one unit at a deep dealer discount, something like 50% off, although I think we might have gotten ours on sale. It also comes with a 1 year subscription on top of the 30 day trial subscription that comes w/ the unit. What's nice about the dealer program is that they wait 30 days to charge your credit card, so you have that "evaluation" period to see if you like it. The only thing that sucks is your only allowed one unit through the program, although what we would do is buy one to try it at a customer site, and if everyone liked it, we would sell it at the normal price, if I remember correctly our netgear rep had no problem with this.

If your interested into looking into other options you may take a peak at Fortinet's line of products, the Fortigate is a pretty decent appliance that has awesome SSL VPN support. The only thing that pissed me off with them is that they do their virus definition's in-house (slow to include new virus's) and that support told me to read the manual when I asked a question that the manual did not fully cover.

Although I will say I was only around for about 45 days after installing the UTM since I switched jobs at the start of this year, although for the time it was installed, I was satisfied with it.

The Netgear UTM's are pretty decent for the price, the subscription price is also quite nice. If I remember right, it does support VLAN's although it is probably a little quirky to set up, I'm not 100% sure if it supports VLAN tagging (yes I know, a little on the asinine side). The normal VPN combined with IPSecuritas or Shrewsoft is pretty decent.

The spam filtering is also very nice, I was able to get a client off of Mcafee's online spam filtering and put them into a UTM25 w/ no problems.

For the dealer program they provide, what it actually is, is you are allowed to purchase one unit at a deep dealer discount, something like 50% off, although I think we might have gotten ours on sale. It also comes with a 1 year subscription on top of the 30 day trial subscription that comes w/ the unit. What's nice about the dealer program is that they wait 30 days to charge your credit card, so you have that "evaluation" period to see if you like it. The only thing that sucks is your only allowed one unit through the program, although what we would do is buy one to try it at a customer site, and if everyone liked it, we would sell it at the normal price, if I remember correctly our netgear rep had no problem with this.

If your interested into looking into other options you may take a peak at Fortinet's line of products, the Fortigate is a pretty decent appliance that has awesome SSL VPN support. The only thing that pissed me off with them is that they do their virus definition's in-house (slow to include new virus's) and that support told me to read the manual when I asked a question that the manual did not fully cover.

Although I will say I was only around for about 45 days after installing the UTM since I switched jobs at the start of this year, although for the time it was installed, I was satisfied with it.

Thanks bob, i looked at dealer price and well its WELL WITH IN BUDGET! im planning on the utm25, with a 1 year subscription, i wonder if dealers get discounts on subscriptions.

Id like to setup a few subnets at home, i hope its not to simple.

Yea, it's been long enough I don't remember what any of the pricing was. For the VLANS, what I could tell is all you have to do is assign a different one to each interface, kinda retarded.

Back