Netgear Ultra 6 Diskless storage

It's expensive in my opinion. However if you are not conformable in building your own linux or zfs based NAS this linux based NAS looks fine.

I have been thinking about getting the diskless storage listed above.

You do know "diskless" means you provide the disks. correct?

You do know "diskless" means you provide the disks. correct?

lol, I was just thinking the same thing.

OP, it's a tad expensive for what you get imo.

Care to explain why?

You're paying $800 for zero disk space.

EDIT: I may have jumped the gun a bit, but you may also want to explain what this NAS will be used for. I mean there are some seriously expensive NAS devices that have their uses.

I have one, and it fits my need rather well. I just needed a basic file server, running RAID-5. Great compact size, hot swap bays, simple management/monitoring. I didn't want a full computer, so it fits my needs.

I have one, and it fits my need rather well. I just needed a basic file server, running RAID-5. Great compact size, hot swap bays, simple management/monitoring. I didn't want a full computer, so it fits my needs.

For $800 without the cost of the drives?

You could have bought a full server with a hex-core and ECC memory for the cost of that NAS.

I guess if it suits your needs though, space must really be an issue for you.

I got mine used with drives for a good price. I have mine located in an entertainment center. I can't put it elsewhere because i'm in an apartment and cannot run cat-5.

I got mine used with drives for a good price. I have mine located in an entertainment center. I can't put it elsewhere because i'm in an apartment and cannot run cat-5.

Sweet, tell the OP to try and do the same, that would totally make it worth it.

I use a Ready NAS for backuping up my Macbook, streaming movies to my TV via DLNA, transcoding to my iPad, downloading NZB's.

The NAS's work great. You put in the disks and you are basically done. Most are low power and don't need any additional config. They are also tiny and take up a fraction of the space a 'server' does. Want to increase space? Just pull a disk out and stick the new one in and wait until it is done rebuilding. No end user configuration necessary.

Sure you could buy a proc, MB, memory, case, PS, controller card, etc. But a NAS already has all of that and doesn't require you to install an OS, tweak and support it. What is your time worth to you?

Last edited:
Still, for $800, that's quite a large amount of cash for a NAS.
There are SANs that don't cost as much and have far better performance.

Like I said, if you need the space, maybe.

It's not much more than it would cost if you pieced something together. It comes down to time. Do you want to research, build, tweak, and support a server? Or do you just want to have something that was built for a specific purpose and does what it was build to do well.

I'd take the server since it will have a very robust CPU and ECC memory support, but that's just me.
NAS's tend to be on the low-end side of the spectrum.

Some of us are [H]arder than others. j/k

Thank you everyone for answering my question. It is a little on the expensive side & I know a diskless means I have to provide the drives. It's true I could probably build one & learn way more but I'm trying to avoid that & need something small.

I use a Ready NAS for backuping up my Macbook, streaming movies to my TV via DLNA, transcoding to my iPad, downloading NZB's.

The NAS's work great. You put in the disks and you are basically done. Most are low power and don't need any additional config. They are also tiny and take up a fraction of the space a 'server' does. Want to increase space? Just pull a disk out and stick the new one in and wait until it is done rebuilding. No end user configuration necessary.

Sure you could buy a proc, MB, memory, case, PS, controller card, etc. But a NAS already has all of that and doesn't require you to install an OS, tweak and support it. What is your time worth to you?

It's not much more than it would cost if you pieced something together. It comes down to time. Do you want to research, build, tweak, and support a server? Or do you just want to have something that was built for a specific purpose and does what it was build to do well.

Thanks, that's my aim for this system. I just want something that is built & ready to go when I add the drives in.

Last edited:
Wow, just gave my opinion. Sorry it differs from yours. Config took about 5 mins, i don't have to reboot it, tweak it, ect. It just works.

TY for the listing. I was going to be lazy but now you got me to re-think & do some serious research.

Wow, just gave my opinion. Sorry it differs from yours. Config took about 5 mins, i don't have to reboot it, tweak it, ect. It just works.

thanks for your opinion. much appreciated.

Back