Netgear router keeps dropping wifi

extrafuzzyllama

Limp Gawd
I have a DSL modem from verizon. I disabled the modems wifi and currently using a WNDR3700 for wifi. But this issue has been going on for a while and I have no idea how to fix it.
The wifi drops constantly. My entire families laptop wifi drops so its not an issue with just my laptop. I have tried rebooting both the modem and netgear. I have also tried a factory reset on both. Yet the problem persists. I have also had the modem replaced. Maybe I am setting up the netgear improperly. I also have a linksys setup as a AP on other side of the house and i have no issues with that.

Anyone know a possible solution other then getting a new router?

Are you running the latest firmware?
Which version of the WNDR3700 do you have?
Have you done a wireless survey using inSSIDer or simlar?
//Danne

I had the random drops when I tried different firmware on v1 and v2 WNDR3700's. Gargoyle was the only one that kept working for longer than a month without disconnecting on both versions. Openwrt worked on one of the two, but can't remember which one was giving me the problem.

Currently I have two PC's built exactly the same and one will not connect to the 2.4ghz channel until I fully reset it. I finally give up and am going to switch these out. For now they work really well as pure AP's.

I would give openwrt or gargoyle a try if you can.

Back