Netgear router, changing the self-signed certificate

lifeinchains

Limp Gawd
Does anybody here have experience with the Netgear FVS336G router? I just got one to use as an SSL VPN and gateway between branch offices and I can't seem to get the certificates to work. I have followed the procedure to create a certificate request, uploaded that request to our domain certificate authority and then uploaded the authorized cert back to the router. This all completed successfully but the router is still using the self-signed certificate from Netgear that it comes with out of the box.

I would like to have a solution that authenticates correctly because the default is not conducive to security. The red address bar and notification that the site is blocked because of the invalid cert is not a good thing for the end users of the VPN. I don't feel comfortable telling the users to ignore security warnings even if I know it is benign.

Is it something as simple as rebooting the router? Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, this is getting maddening.

Well I heard back from Netgear tech support. Apparently "the ability to use a certificate with this device is not available", they apparently "have engineers working on the issue" but "do not have an ETA". This is all for a feature that Netgear recommends changing before even deploying the product in a production environment. Does that mean I shouldn't deploy it? :rolleyes:

Back