Netgear GS724T V2--Trouble with software

wayout2day

Limp Gawd
I have 14 Dell Optiplex 620 SFF, an HP Pavilion a6000n (Vista HP, AMD dual core), HP 7410xi aio printer in my shop. I sell time on the Internet by the hour in Chicago. My modem/router is a Netopia. All of the PC's have 1000 NIC.

The switch is Netgear GS724T v2. I bought it without the software and was told the software is online. It is of course. However, I downloaded the software and I can't get it to run on one of the Optiplex PC's that I use in the back of the shop for this purpose.

I have been using the switch for about 3 weeks and I want to set up VLAN's to separate the customers from my PC"s. We are starting to get more customers, so I don't know if the password system will be the most secure.

1. I unpacked the .zip file for the main software. It leaves me with a .bin file that I'm not sure what to do with. I tried to open the .bin file with UltraISO. I tried the process with RAR. Maybe I'm not following the procedures right. I uninstalled the ISO and RAR and tried it that way, but there is no autoload...it asks for a program to use...I can't figure out which one.

2. I got the Wizard file to open right. But when I try to search for the switch, it does nothing. It doesn't find the switch and nothing happens. I waited for a while after clicking the discover tab.

I am using DSL for now, till biz picks up enough to go to the T1 line and new switching stuff from ATT {Cisco}. I have a static IP address.

Any thoughts as to why the switch cannot be found and perhaps what I am doing wrong trying to install the programs....Am I suppossed to start with different software ?

thnx.

Sounds like that is a firmware update you downloaded.

You should be able to access the switch by its IP I would assume, or the console port if it has one.

I think the Discovery software just lets you set the switch up quickly (ie: IP address, subnet mask, information like location, etc) and SHOULD discover the switch and let you at least launch a browser session to do the rest of the configuration. I've got the Discovery software installed in Vista 64 and it finds my GS724T V2. I assume your devices are directly connected? Are they on the same network, IP wise?

ok, my further research confirms the above comment that it is firmware. Netgear says that I need to use TFTP to load the firmware.

So I downloaded a TFTP bit of freeware.

I'm not sure how to use that, but I am reading and learning. I still don't understand why the "wizard" didn't just find the switch. The PC I am using is connected directly into the switch. There is no additional submask that I am aware of.

Any comments to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated.

well, i have not had any success in getting the wizard discovery software to find the switch. I won't let me set any search parameters. There is just a "discover" button that does nothing when i press it. lost here....any ideas...reset the switch to factory settings ?

I haven't installed any software to it, just plugged everything in...works fine, but I would like to manage the switch.

gs724t v.2

well, i guess nobody knows how to use this piece of equipment...tks and I will keep looking.

i bought two of the v1 switches and made sure to reset them first before i tried using them. the discovery wizard worked fine, however, i realized that in order to install the newest firmware i had to use an old version of the wizard and firmware, upgrade it, then install the newest version and install the newer firmware.

unfortunately i'm at work so i can't look at mine, but there is a reset button on it. give that a try and hopefully it clears out any funky config that might be causing you problems.

What's with the attitude? See my signature and be a little more patient with the FREE support you receive on forums like these. You buying a web-managed switch without the software is not our problem.

Now, with that out of the way...

1. Download the Netgear SmartWizard software from their support site. What you downloaded before is a firmware upgrade file.
2. Install it and run it. This will help you 'discover' the switch and configure it so you can access it.
3. Now that the switch is configured, go to the IP address you configured for management and log in.
4. Ta-da. The user manual should help you find the rest.

ss, I thought my comment was more of a "I'll keep looking" and thanks. This forum has been invaluable to all the questions I have sought answers to. I have tried to poke a few points in along the way.

I purchased a v1 also. So I will try to reset to factory settings. My question comes more to the issue of uploading software to the switch. The perusal of the software on the netgear site suggested a type of uploading protocol that i wasn't familiar with.

I will keep looking and report back on my results. These are great switches that can do a lot. More later....

Really, thanks...

Hey, sounds like your a bit confused. The software you need is the Netgear SmartWizard.
The netgear you have all ready has software installed on it and you should be able to access it by the default IP or the console port. You downloaded a firmware upgrade, which you should do AFTER you are able to access the switch.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/FSxxxT_GSxxxT_smartswitch_UserManual.pdf
Check out the Management Access Section.
Plug in the switch to just the 1 management workstation on Port 1
Reset the switch via the reset button.
Follow the advice above and download the Netgear SmartWizard software.
Use the Discovery Wizard. Give the switch a static IP and have fun!

That manual above has all the answers to your questions.

thanks much spyder....

I unplugged the PC's from the v2 and plugged them into the v1 (to keep the system running for the shop). I then plugged the managing PC into the #1 port and it helped. I then plugged it into the router--in front of the two switches..this seemed to be the best route.

The discovery wizard found both switches. I have to upgrade the firmware on the v1, but things are rolling nicely.

Back