Netgear FR314NA, locked out with password

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

Hoping you can help me on this one. My friend is mailing me a Netgear FR314NA Cable / DSL router this week. The problem is that he can't get into it. His friend that had it before him, accidentally changed the password, and forgot what it was... so we're locked out of this router. How can we get into the router so that we can change the password and not run into this situation again?

Thanks,
Punkrulz

Heh, I actually have a linksys router that suffered the very same fate. It's old and semi-retired (just acting as a switch) so I haven't bothered with it.

Yeah, except the thing is that if this is going to be the router I'm using in place of my current one [which would be nice], then I definately need to hop onto this one and configure it. Which means, getting passed the password. :)

Ok. here's the answer:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100446.asp

Problem
Forgotten FR314 Password

Solution
If you cannot remember your password, you need to reload the firmware and reset the Router to defaults.

To do this you must: Download the Firmware from our Website. It is a bin file, save it to you desktop.

Turn off the FR314. Take a pencil or small paperclip and press the small reset button in the back, and hold it down.

While holding the button down turn the FR314 on. Within 5 seconds the test light should start blinking.

It will blink for about 90 seconds, when the test light goes solid the firmware is erased.

Go to your browser and go to http://192.168.0.1 and it will ask you for the bin file (Firmware, or Firewall Software).

Click the browse button and navigate to the location of your downloaded .bin file, select the .bin file and press the upload button.

The firmware will now upload.

DO NOT CLOSE THE BROWSER OR OPEN ANOTHER INTERNET PAGE WHILE THE FIRMWARE IS UPLOADING, it may corrupt the Firmware.

Wait until it is finished, the FR314 will reboot automatically.

Then set up the FR314 as if it was new.

Ugh, I'm such an idiot for not even trying to find it there... I hate it how sometimes these things are the easiest things you can find, when you think they shouldn't be!

Back