netgear en104tp hub!!! wana share dsl!!!!

newyorkjets00

[H]ard|Gawd
ok i have a netgear hub that i use to use awhile back to share the connection with 2 pcs...now i wana use it again but its not working...
scale.jpg

which do i plug the internet into? and the 2 pcs into?....i know this will work i have done it before just cant seem to figure it out this time...

[ Pc ] [ Pc ] [ Pc ] [ Router/modem ]

Don't forget, that's no router... so your modem had best have some routing capcities.

I'm asuming that he's using a DSL modem, which have the ability to assign IPs to computers... Should be fine.

Esentially it looks like so

[ MODEM ]
| * Accesses ISP
| * Assigns IPs to connected computers
|
[ HUB ]
|
|____________
| PC 1 | PC 2 |

No problem.

The computer that hooks into the dsl can share the internet if it has 2 lan connections. One connection goes to the modem and you enable ICS on it. The second lan card gets connected to the hub(any port). Now any other computers connected to the hub should get net. All LAN cards should be set to "obtain IP automatically" except for the one with ICS enabled.

Stormlifter said:
I'm asuming that he's using a DSL modem, which have the ability to assign IPs to computers... Should be fine.

Esentially it looks like so

<snip>

No problem.
Only if his ISP will give him multiple IP addresses. Most consumer level ISP accounts don't unless you pay extra. If he only gets one IP address(likely) then he'll need a NAT device between the modem and the hub.

Some if not all modem's that were made in the last 2 years have DHCP built in but the ISP's disable it.

Somewhere he needs to run Internet Connection Sharing there is no way to do it without running it unless he threw a router in the mix.

Back