Netflix To Launch User Profiles This Summer

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Jun 11, 2013.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

According to this article, Netflix is planning on launching user profiles later this summer. What do you think? Are user profiles something you guys are even interested in?

2. Rockferd

Rockferd Feelz

3. trick0502

trick0502 [H]ardness Supreme

how about they add clear history?

4. rabscuttle

rabscuttle n00b

It might be useful if it tracks views by each user separately. Multiple people watching the same series at different times requires noting which episode each person is on when they return to it.

5. bearax

bearax Limp Gawd

Yes. For people with kids, this is a necessity.

6. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

I love this. Actually have wanted this for a while, now my kid can get his netflix access back.

7. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Yes, if they also allow you to set a ratings limit on each sub account (like nothing over PG).

This is one of the reasons I got rid of Netflix, as it kept recommending titles that I wouldnÂ’t want my kids to see and that I didn't even want to see. If I can give my kids thier own login, I might consider joining again.

8. teh_chem

teh_chem [H]ard|Gawd

Hells. Yes. In a family household that uses a single netflix account between 4-5 people, but everyone watches something different, the "recommended for you" section is hugely irrelevant, and the video-tracking feature is a mess. I'd LOVE a user profile option.

9. rhouck

rhouck 2[H]4U

Sounds useful. Hopefully it brings back being able to share recommendations with friends (and see their ratings) as well.

10. jinhur

jinhur Limp Gawd

ctrl + shft + alt + s
    opens up stream manager for setting buff rate.... WHO KNEW!!!?!?!?

11. ADRENALIN_2099

ADRENALIN_2099 Gawd

+1 this was precisely what I was going to say

12. BoogerBomb

BoogerBomb [H]ardness Supreme

For multi-person households this would be awesome.

13. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

I'd support it if they got the profiles right in the first place. I've already set my tastes up to "I love horror movies" and "I hate romance movies.". What does Netflix suggest? "Netflix thinks you'd give The Evil Dead a 2 star" while "Netflix recommends Sleepless in Seattle as a 5 star for you".

Maybe it's because I've watched and rated too many movies, but half their suggestions are either romance or stand up comedy, neither of which I can stand.

14. HisSvt76

HisSvt76 2[H]4U

How about the option to not show certain categories don't really like seeing the gay and lesbian section when looking for family movies to watch.

15. danmoody

danmoody Limp Gawd

I have kids great frakin idea!

16. somecallmeTim

somecallmeTim [H]ardForum Junkie

and grand-kids... :)

and a wife.

:)

17. Koolthulu

Koolthulu Gawd

Depends on how it is done. Can I set different rating limits for each account? Is there a PIN so kids can't get into their parents' account? The article seems to just focus on viewing history and recommendations being separate.

Still, at least it is a start in the right direction.

18. MrWrong

MrWrong [H]ard|Gawd

It sounds promising, but it all depends on how its implemented. Even so at least its a step in the right direction.

19. Ophbalance

Ophbalance n00b

Oh hell yes. I'm sick to death of having the kids watching every Nick/Disney toon under the sun make all my recommendations mucked up. This would be awesome, as I could set the Wii U/Tablets for their profile, and my tablet/PC are under my profile.

20. timta2

timta2 [H]ard|Gawd

It's amazing that it has taken Netflix this long, considering that this is a feature that people have been clamoring for for years (at least since the mid 2000's when I started visiting sites like Hacking Netflix). Netflix is one company that really listens to it's customers. :D

21. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

Yes yes yes I've been waiting for this. My family's TV watching is 95% Netflix, 80% is our 4 year old. Having something being suggested besides Magic School Bus would be great.

22. BoogerBomb

BoogerBomb [H]ardness Supreme

The one plus about my 4 year old nephews recommendations mucking up mine, is that I came across Transformers Prime, it's actually a pretty good show.

23. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

Yeah, don't know how I came across this show but like you say, pretty good.

24. Haven

Haven I Only Post Important Stuff

Hey now, don't bag on Ms. Frizzle. When my son was younger we loved watching Magic School Bus. There are times when I miss those days.

As far as profiles go, it would be nice if they make it so you can lock down a Child account, so that way my kid doesn't get into things that he shouldn't.

25. jonathonball

jonathonball [H]ard|Gawd

Sharing a Netflix account with someone is almost as bad as trying to share a Pandora station. Netflix makes suggestions on what to watch based on what you've rated and what you've watched. My wife has no interest in watching episodes of Star Trek or Quantum Leap and I have no interest in Real Housewives of Narcissist County.

This is an extremely welcome change.

26. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

Very much a necessity, can't cone soon enough!

As long as they integrate it properly...

27. Terminus

Terminus [H]ard|Gawd

I'm actually a Netflix beta tester for this and I have to say it solves the exact problem you want it to solve.

No more Disney shows on my profile THANK YOU GOD

28. cp454

cp454 [H]Lite

Its about time!

29. ehksohset

ehksohset [H]Lite

Haha.. this sounds strangely familiar. Now if they'd only add a button to "shake up" the recommendations if you don't dig what's currently being recommended. I'm looking at you, Roku...

30. bigstusexy

bigstusexy 2[H]4U

Not a bad idea but its going to open up the fact that more than one person is using the account...

The thing I want (clear history is great!) I want the social features back! I finally know more than a two netflix people that I talk to all the time about what they watch, or more people that I would like to check out their history.

31. Virtus

Virtus Limp Gawd

I would've been interested in this a year ago for the same reasons as others (kids). But now their library is so worthless that my kids are the only ones who watch netflix so the rating filter is just set at PG for everyone.

I wonder how this will work on devices like Rokus? Will there be a login screen every time you turn on the netflix channel?

32. teh_chem

teh_chem [H]ard|Gawd

Netflix is actually quite lax--more than one person can use a single netflix account without violating the netflix TOS; but only 6 separate devices can be registered on a single account, and only two devices can stream simultaneously using the same account (though a new account level for "family plans" seeks to change this to up to 4 devices at once, for an added monthly fee, of course).

But there isn't a part of their TOS that prohibits multiple users of a single account.

I agree, clearing history would be a nice feature.