Netflix Slams ISPs Again for Broadband Caps

ROFL, newsflash. Companies are conspiring to limit access when there is nigh unlimited resources available in order to quash competition and buttfuck the consumer.

Is this not the generally agreed upon impression of ISP's?

Is this not the generally agreed upon impression of ISP's?

There is a vast difference between 'doing things for profit' and conspiring to eliminate competition at the cost of consumer

I guess I have another reason to be happy for having business fios w/ 5 ip addresses at 25/25mbps. Don't think they are going to start throttling their 'business' customers. For $99/month. well worth it to me.

Netflix is making their money over lines provided by other people (ISPs), who bear the cost. Netflix counts for a majority share of all bandwidth now used in the US. Maybe Netflix should invest in their own fiber instead of whining about it.

I love my Netflix and, like everyone, would like to get something for nothing. Netflix charges such a low monthly rate for their streaming option because we are paying others (the ISPs) for the connection, which Netflix uses up.

@ delahaya

give me a break. Netflix is right on par with this one. Bandwidth is EXTREMELY cheap. $0.01/gb. Where I am, I get charged $1.00/gb over my limit. Netflix is 100% correct on this subject. ISP's deliver a service, at an extreme overhead. You can say blah blah blah lay your own fiber blah I dont want to hear it. The bottom line is that youre paying for a service, like netflix, you should be able to use it without the ISP's gouging you for bandwidth that costs little or nothing for them to obtain.

EDIT:

Its sickening.. Were going into 2012, and bandwidth caps are LOWERING, meanwhile, the information age is growing at an exponential rate. Give me a break. The ISP's (whom alot are cableco's/telco's) dont want to lose revenue from cable tv or telephone. They fear that everything is going to be IP and theyre trying to gain as much $$$$ from this as they can. This is for the most part going on in North America, not so much the rest of the world. Corporate greed at its finest.

We can bitch and moan all we want, in a capitalistic system the only way to correct this is competition. Other players are simply going to have to enter the ISP market and build infrastructure in the US. If all these companies that are pushing cloud services want to take them to the next level they are simply going to have to get their hands dirty and get into the ISP game. That's going to be a lot more effective than demanding that other companies voluntarily lower their profits the the cloud companies benefit.

A 30 minute episode of Nurse Jackie that I downloaded last night was in 720p and the file size was 556mb. So, I can imagine a 1080p 30 minute episode being 1gb.

The two US HD broadcast standards, 720p60 and 1080i30 use the exact same bandwidth. A US sitcom is 22min long.
Yes Netflicks doesn't use the highest level compression (because it has to be play friendly to a wide variety of devices) but they keep it to a low Mbps to keep it streaming friendly. I can't see it come anywhere near 1GB even with an old codec.
Anyone have any solid specs on current (2011), codec, resolutions and bitrates? I can't seem to find any up to date specs.

We can bitch and moan all we want, in a capitalistic system the only way to correct this is competition. Other players are simply going to have to enter the ISP market and build infrastructure in the US. If all these companies that are pushing cloud services want to take them to the next level they are simply going to have to get their hands dirty and get into the ISP game. That's going to be a lot more effective than demanding that other companies voluntarily lower their profits the the cloud companies benefit.

Unfortunately the startup cost vs. marginal cost for ISPs makes this a naturally monopolistic market. Many people think it's government rules that prevent competition, but it's the other way around; the government rules exist because there is no competition.

I honestly think the solution may be a public infrastructure. Paying the private corporations public money to expand the infrastructure didn't work, so maybe we should just build it ourselves. I hate to take anything away from the private sector, but the government does a good job of maintaining roads; they should maintain the cables underneath those roads as well. Then private ISPs can still exist, but they will lease the public infrastructure.

You'll NEVER see this. I don't doubt that the ISPs are taking us for all they can but make no mistake about, this infrastructure ain't cheap and easy, if it were we'd see a lot more competition though current laws and regulations tend to block competition.

Competition isnt being curtailed by the People/Gov. It is being curtailed by the lobbyists for the ISP's.
Corps without oversight is the problem. And I mean government oversight that isnt controlled by said corps.

Everyone knows that ISPs are greedy bastards.

If only this were the case. ISPs do a great job marketting people who are high bandwidth users as the problems and making consumers conjure up and image of a moribly obeese gamer with piles of pizza boxes and empty cats on code-red mountain dew screaming 'MORE DOTS. MORE DOTS.' while 8 videos are download in the background and 3 streaming.

Unfortunately the startup cost vs. marginal cost for ISPs makes this a naturally monopolistic market. Many people think it's government rules that prevent competition, but it's the other way around; the government rules exist because there is no competition.

I honestly think the solution may be a public infrastructure. Paying the private corporations public money to expand the infrastructure didn't work, so maybe we should just build it ourselves. I hate to take anything away from the private sector, but the government does a good job of maintaining roads; they should maintain the cables underneath those roads as well. Then private ISPs can still exist, but they will lease the public infrastructure.

How would that work? Would we just steal their resources and then rent them back to them?

Good points, yes the marginal costs are low but the startup costs of the infrastructure are enormous, it's just not a market were capitalism works well for consumers. Absent more private competition the only other choice is a public one.

The two US HD broadcast standards, 720p60 and 1080i30 use the exact same bandwidth. A US sitcom is 22min long.
Yes Netflicks doesn't use the highest level compression (because it has to be play friendly to a wide variety of devices) but they keep it to a low Mbps to keep it streaming friendly. I can't see it come anywhere near 1GB even with an old codec.
Anyone have any solid specs on current (2011), codec, resolutions and bitrates? I can't seem to find any up to date specs.
Netflix HD streams usually max at about 4 megabits per second, for the video So yeah, you'd get about a gig of data for a 30 minute episode, just in video data.

I get my HDTV service over the same line as my Telephone and the TV boxes connect to the same router as my internet. Well, all that TV data is taking up tons of bandwidth too and they have no issue with that so how is the internet service so different? Netflix is right, it is all lies the ISPs are telling us.

How would that work? Would we just steal their resources and then rent them back to them?

Hardly "stealing" it, as most of their physical infrastructure they've already depreciated through tax deductions down to $0 value. So while they technically 'own' it, for tax reasons, they don't consider it having any physical value to their business. So the government simply assumes control over the resource via eminent domain laws, and then compensates the previous owner for it...based on the rate they were reporting its value at for tax purposes. :D

This has nothing to do with delivery....it is all about protecting thier bloated TV service. In order to get the 10 channels you really want you have to buy their 3000 channel package for $120/Mo. It is all filled with crap that nobody watches, but cable companies spend big bucks to provide it all in the name of delivering more content.

I believe the content market is getting over saturated....we really only need the three majors to focus on delivering quality ***New*** content, 2-3 TBS type stations to delivery syndicaded stuff, Sports networks, and then ONE provider like HBO who can do mature stuff (like Boardwalk empire & Entourage).

But instead we have all this crap....and the ISP (TV providers) are starting to desperatly hold onto it.

If it wasn't for some of the original content I wouldn't have HBO.

Its stupid and a flawed business model. Reminds me of a episode in Mad Men when they were trying to use advertising for the telegram....when in reality it was obsolete to the telephone.

I called on the phone and was assured there are no such 250GB cap, I never recieved a letter yet. When i log into my Profile on AT&T website it shows my plan and says UNLIMITED data still on my monthly plan and i have UVERSE. The link i posted is directly to their site so they are still not making it PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE yet.

i have been talking about this potential for a while - if we continue to do nothing about Net Neutrality this will continue ang just get worse - and then it will be the norm and we will all llse out and the MPAA & RIAA of will be happy because it will be the one way to curb piracy

Netflix can move some data. When my wife is watching HD tv shows on netflix I can watch the graph in pfsene and see it pull 7mbs of my 10mbs connection. thats almost 1meg a second for hd. So yea your using a crap load of bandwith if your streaming hd.

I called on the phone and was assured there are no such 250GB cap, I never recieved a letter yet. When i log into my Profile on AT&T website it shows my plan and says UNLIMITED data still on my monthly plan and i have UVERSE. The link i posted is directly to their site so they are still not making it PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE yet.
Doing a little research, they are apparently phasing in the u-verse caps over time to accounts. Plus they give you 3 months overage before they start charging you after they start 250gb cap on your account. So people will start getting charged in the next few months.

I hope they let you go over a couple of times and not charge you, then be good for a few months then go over again. I hat paying extra for 50 gigs if thats what they are going to do its better then getting shut off.

Back