Netflix Shortened Gift Subscriptions After Hiking Prices

Haha, class action in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Sorry Netflix, if you sold the card/service as X amount of months, then you are liable to provide the said services regardless of price increases.

Brilliant move by Netflix if you're planning on buying stock at a reduced rate .. $205 (was $285 last month).

I know all of the market has been taking a pummeling, but it's like they're intentionally trying to tank this.

Here. As I see this, people bought a gift card with x$ on it. Each month that you have service the monthly service fee is deducted from the original balance. When there is less of a balance that the monthly service costs, the the customer begins to front the bill. The fact that the service just went up means that the original balance will be reduced quicker. Oh well, to bad. If you are irritated at that fact, then cancel. To me this is the same as using a giftcard from a store, the original intent may have been for you to be able to get two 50$ pairs of jeans with a 100$ giftcard but because the jeans are now 60$ you can get one plus something that is cheaper, or if you still want two pairs then you are going to have to kick in your own cash to complete the transaction. I have never gotten a giftcard and expected to be able to precisely map out what I was going to use it for based on a dollar value of an item at an earlier point in history. I use the money on it and if I want something that costs more that I have I kick in my own money. Rates for service will always change, you can't expect a company to honor that rate unless they are contractually bound to do so. The gift subscription is not a contact guaranteeing a given number of months for a dollar amount rather it is a lump sum that is reduced by the current monthly service rate until the original lump sum is depleted.

What, were are the Netflix fanbois? They have some damage control to do here.

Here. As I see this, people bought a gift card with x$ on it. Each month that you have service the monthly service fee is deducted from the original balance. When there is less of a balance that the monthly service costs, the the customer begins to front the bill. The fact that the service just went up means that the original balance will be reduced quicker. Oh well, to bad. If you are irritated at that fact, then cancel. To me this is the same as using a giftcard from a store, the original intent may have been for you to be able to get two 50$ pairs of jeans with a 100$ giftcard but because the jeans are now 60$ you can get one plus something that is cheaper, or if you still want two pairs then you are going to have to kick in your own cash to complete the transaction. I have never gotten a giftcard and expected to be able to precisely map out what I was going to use it for based on a dollar value of an item at an earlier point in history. I use the money on it and if I want something that costs more that I have I kick in my own money. Rates for service will always change, you can't expect a company to honor that rate unless they are contractually bound to do so. The gift subscription is not a contact guaranteeing a given number of months for a dollar amount rather it is a lump sum that is reduced by the current monthly service rate until the original lump sum is depleted.

So a 12 month subscription to a magazine could actually be less if they raise the cost per issue right after you subscribe?

Some have confirmed on here that the gift cards actually state X number of months.

If I pay for a year of Sirius radio in advance, but halfway through the year they raise the rate of the service, do I no longer get my full year?

The person who reported this to Consumerist posted an update on the site. Netflix said the terms of service was made in error, and that gift cards are not subjected to the price hike adjustments.

from Amanda's update said:
I just spoke with customer service, and they CORRECTED me. I'm happy to report that the price increase DOES NOT affect gift subscriptions during the run of the gift. However, even based on how Consumerist, I and other readers all took different meanings from the language they posted in my account, they could have taken better steps to clarify how the price increase affects gift subs, especially if they are going to put a bunch of "alert" icons around the news on my account page.
I also alerted them to the "page not found" links in their terms of service, and the rep was very thankful and said it would be fixed.

So, now I'm doing my due diligence as a good consumer by requesting that you please update the story online to reflect this new info.

I'll take my spankings from the other readers now.

dicks

do they really think someone on a gift sub is going to re-up after a move like this?

someone must have hit their head for an act this stupid

This argument fails. i clearly remember this being sold as months of service not as a gift card.

yeah. I rearranged my queue to get the last few movies I wanted.. Sub getting cancelled next week..

6 year customer.. F Them now..

For anyone that didn't read the article since it was orginally posted or never read it at all, the person was wrong. Netflix is NOT fucking over its customers. if you had a 12 month gift you get 12 months.

For anyone that didn't read the article since it was orginally posted or never read it at all, the person was wrong. Netflix is NOT fucking over its customers. if you had a 12 month gift you get 12 months.

Yup, see post #46

netflix is rapidly shooting itself in the foot. I've had it about 2 years and I may just drop it. I really don't even watch that much stuff. It's great for my 5 yr old and her shows, but that's about it.

Well crap I should have bought a year card before the price hike... why did I not think of that

netflix is rapidly shooting itself in the foot. I've had it about 2 years and I may just drop it. I really don't even watch that much stuff. It's great for my 5 yr old and her shows, but that's about it.

Everyone is going to be different. I have more stuff than i can watch in my queues. I'm always finding some new tv series to try and then have to watch 3 or 4 seasons worth, or find new movies. every week i can probably add 5 - 10 movies to my queue for watch now. some are movies that i wouldn't watch if i had to wait for them on DVD unless my queue was empty, but as something to watch to instantly with the option of being able to stop and find something else with my DVD queue not being effected they are fine.

As long as netflix cost less than $100 its less than redbox would cost me.

so for somebody like you the service isn't really worth it. but for me, it is well worth the cost and i get my moneys worth.

Netflix boardroom:

Sales Guy: Our numbers are up, people love the service, and we're quickly becoming a household name!

Nameless Suit: This is terrible news, DOUBLE prices immediately! Cut costs at every conceivable opportunity! If these customers don't resent us and secretly hate us then we are not a successful business!

Dilbert strip in 3...2...1...

Anything bought before the price increase announcement should be honored. Now... people just might be buying them to game the system, which Netflix is probably concerned about.

threads like this are dangerous.

They Guy fucked up and misinterpreted the wording, NetFlix clarified and the guy wrote a retraction. A small percentage of people actually realize that the rest are calling for NetFlix to be strung up for something they didn't do.

I really like netflix too until they got soo involved with this streaming bit (stranded on dialup and low quality 3g from verizon as my options). Sense then they gradually started increasing prices and looking over the dvd renters it seems... /shrug Sad to see this especially being they have been raising hell about the ever capping of internet access from the money grab duopoly nation.

threads like this are dangerous.

They Guy fucked up and misinterpreted the wording, NetFlix clarified and the guy wrote a retraction. A small percentage of people actually realize that the rest are calling for NetFlix to be strung up for something they didn't do.

QFT

I really like netflix too until they got soo involved with this streaming bit (stranded on dialup and low quality 3g from verizon as my options). Sense then they gradually started increasing prices and looking over the dvd renters it seems... /shrug Sad to see this especially being they have been raising hell about the ever capping of internet access from the money grab duopoly nation.

Not really, that is why they did this change. A lot of people use the streaming ands its easier for them. Don't need to have 500+ copies of a movie on hand, don't need to worry about shipping, don't need to worry about people screwing up the movies. But at the same time they have to pay an addition fee for streaming movies. so the only fair thing was to break it up, now they have DVD only which is back around the orginal price and a new streaming only package. so for you, you can drop the streaming and go back to DVD only and save yourself a good amount of money.

Back