Netflix Says “’Bright” Success Proves Film Critics Are “Disconnected from Mass Appeal”

Dude, the showrunner for Discovery literally said that is what the show was about: http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/07/star-trek-discovery-trump-political-divide/

“The allegory is that we really started working on the show in earnest around the time the election was happening,” showrunner Aaron Harberts says. “The Klingons are going to help us really look at certain sides of ourselves and our country. Isolationism is a big theme. Racial purity is a big theme. The Klingons are not the enemy, but they do have a different view on things. It raises big questions: Should we let people in? Do we want to change? There’s also the question of just because you reach your hand out to someone, do they have to take it? Sometimes, they don’t want to take it. It’s been interesting to see how the times have become more of a mirror than we even thought they were going to be.” “North Korea is in our thoughts as we finish the series,” he says. “What began as a commentary on our own divided nation — in terms of Trump supporters and non-Trump supporters — has blown out to North Korea and how we’re right on the brink. [The U.S. is] actually right at the place where Starfleet finds itself in episode one and we couldn’t have anticipated that happening. But how do you end conflict when both sides have such strong opinions?”

Sounds like I will probably not be watching the show then, ever. That is the reason I also hate most of the new novels, they are just SJW and political commentaries, unlike the novels from the 80's and 90's, which were often quite good with really good authors. (Peter David was the best.)

SPOILER ALERT!-- I also didn't think the movie was as bad as the critics implied it was. My only complaint is that they made it clear way too early in the movie that only a Bright could use a magic wand and then it became apparent way too early that Will Smith would turn out to be the Bright using the wand. Any time you're making a movie where the main character turns out to be the Chosen One and you make that obvious way to early in the movie, you're going to have problems.

Also minor spoiler thingee.

They overdid the entire Messiah thing a wee bit to.

The movie had issues... but it was hardly the worst movie ever made. A lot of critics pre judged it, and even more would have said it stunk even if it was a modern Citizen Kane.

They didn't get a screener, they where not acknowledged as special, they where not patted on the back and sent swag. I mean Netflix forced them to watch at the same time as regular people... Netflix doesn't know how to show the proper amount of Re$pect. :rolleyes:

I have to wonder, what sort of reviews "Citizen Kane" would get from these critics if it was released today. probably bitch about it lacking originality and having a shallow plot with mediocre actors.... :rolleyes:

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Come on.. The Warcraft movie was terrible and definitely the worst movie I watched that year. The only reason people gave it 77% is because people love WoW and are blind fanboys.
Like in what way? I could tell you what made Transformers bad, or what made Lady Bird bad, but Warcraft seemed spot on. Granted the movie needed more time to explain things, but all things considering it was a good movie. The CG wasn't great but what movie had good CG?

My S/O and myself found this movie to be enjoyable, but I do agree with whoever stated "will smith being a ***ght" shouldn't have been revealed so early on.

Many reviews now-a-days have evolved from opinions that once correctly reflected the public interest; now, instead are more interested in developing a headline and article for the sole purpose of generating clicks and traffic - regardless of its accuracy and authenticity.

Like in what way? I could tell you what made Transformers bad, or what made Lady Bird bad, but Warcraft seemed spot on. Granted the movie needed more time to explain things, but all things considering it was a good movie. The CG wasn't great but what movie had good CG?
The acting was mediocre at best, the dialogue was worse than the Star Wars prequels and the story was so simple I had already figured out what was gonna happen early in the movie with the various characters that I didn't even care for.
I was watching the movie with my wife and she left within 30 minutes, I decided to keep the movie going, but I wish I hadn't.. The movie was just bland and a waste of my time.

I do not know about Transformers as I don't watch that shit, but I'm guessing it's still better than the Warcraft movie.

Dad was watching this over christmas. I was vaguely paying attention to it off and on and at one point i was like " this is the most amazing first episode of a series I've ever seen!".

Just watched Bright, not a bad movie at all. Not like a super great movie mind you, but not horrible either.

Decided it best to respond to you in affirmation than the haters.

I was impressed with the Warcraft movie, was expecting far worse. I thought they did well incorporating the story gamers know into a package that still would make sense to those that never played the game. Unlike Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within which was still a bit too Eastern in nature for a western audience to grasp unless they had played the series eg: Gaia ( I still loved the graphics and to this day feel that it was awesome).

Decided it best to respond to you in affirmation than the haters.

I was impressed with the Warcraft movie, was expecting far worse. I thought they did well incorporating the story gamers know into a package that still would make sense to those that never played the game. Unlike Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within which was still a bit too Eastern in nature for a western audience to grasp unless they had played the series eg: Gaia ( I still loved the graphics and to this day feel that it was awesome).

No... Spirits Within was a mess because they cut nearly all the objectionable material for Western Audiences... like Dr. Ross sacrificing her unborn child to save Gaia/Earth

The acting was mediocre at best, the dialogue was worse than the Star Wars prequels and the story was so simple I had already figured out what was gonna happen early in the movie with the various characters that I didn't even care for.
I was watching the movie with my wife and she left within 30 minutes, I decided to keep the movie going, but I wish I hadn't.. The movie was just bland and a waste of my time.

I do not know about Transformers as I don't watch that shit, but I'm guessing it's still better than the Warcraft movie.

The acting was no worse than most of the other movies out there today. The story was on par with the game so I am sorry if you "figured" it out early on. The story was originally a game and not a movie. For those of us that loved the game (not the MMO) it was a good movie. Not great but not so bad that I wanted my $20 back.

I actually thought they did a really good job of explaining everything well enough so that the movie was relevant for those that didnt play the games.

Back