Netflix: PS3 Playon vs. Roku player

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
I couldn't decide where to post this. I opted for here, figuring I'd get more hits about PlayOn.

I was wondering if anyone here uses Playon with a Netflix account, and what they thought about it?

I'm trying to decide between that and a Roku Netflix Player.

Playon is cheaper (as I already have a PS3), but a little tougher to use (i'm thinking of my Wife here....). At $99 its hard to beat for the Roku player, especially that it now supports HD Streaming.

So does anyone have experience with EITHER option above, please let me know your thoughts.

I have a netflix account, and I want to start streaming.

I've never used either, but I might be trying Playon real soon here. There is a free trial period for that one, so you really don't have any risk using it for a while. It is a far cheaper way of going about getting netflix than the Roku player.

Sorry, I guess I am not that much help, but I am quite interested in other people's comments.

I did find out through their forums that PlayOn doesn't support HD Streaming. Roku (with the latest firmware update) does in fact support HD Streams.

Also, the Roku doesn't force you to deal with all that crap with your computer and isn't going to get "accidentally" disabled by Netflix. I'd go with the Roku.

Yes, in terms of ease-of-use and stability, Roku seems the way to go. There seem to be some issues on the forums for PlayOn, which I'm sure aren't a big deal for most people.

Gee, wouldn't it be sweet if PS3 got it natively ? :)

Oh well, looks like I should pony up for the Roku and another set of HDMI cables.

I tried the PlayOn service last night. Wow. Its so easy. I only have a 42" so lack of HD isn't a HUGE kick in the balls. I may actually consider getting the service. It would be nice to watch some of the things on my instant queue through the PS3. I usually just watch series and get the physical media for the big ticket things.

Back