Netflix Posts Lower Than Expected 1Q Loss

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix just can't seem to get a break lately. I guess this is one of those "can't win for losing" situations. This is the face you make when you beat analysts' expectations and your stock still gets hammered.

The first-quarter setback announced Monday was far smaller than analysts expected. Investors, though, were dissatisfied with the report and forecast. Netflix shares plummeted $14.09, or nearly 14 percent, to $87.75 in extended trading after the results came out.

Last edited:
So in other words the stock is still drastically overvalued.

I will never understand the hate for Netflix people have around here. Great service. Netflix stole my heart <3

I will never understand the hate for Netflix people have around here. Great service. Netflix stole my heart <3

If you like Netflix you should check out the show "Lilyhammer" Its one of their original series and it was freaking awesome. Its been greenlit for a second season.

IMO I do wish they had significantly more content. I'd pay $15-$20 a month if they could get most new stuff released on DVD put on streaming within 6 months of its release.

I can't say I hate them, I can't say I love them... but I do know it beats the hell out of a $100 cable/satellite bill. They suck at decision making. Last couple years has put the company nearly on life support. I hope they've learned from those horrible mistakes and will soon be thriving again. I'm hoping with some success, better selections will soon be available and more studios will be willing to sign on.

The Qwikster fiasco almost had me canceling my Netflix subscription. The continual price hikes might do just the same; reducing features while increasing price is always a bad move.

The Qwikster fiasco almost had me canceling my Netflix subscription. The continual price hikes might do just the same; reducing features while increasing price is always a bad move.

I think that's the problem in a nutshell right there.

I will never understand the hate for Netflix people have around here.

...as for the "hate," I didn't know being opposed to price hikes, lack of content, voicing opinions on the company's colossal blunders (costing shareholders a ton of $$) was "hating" on them. ;)

I cancelled when they raised the price. Not that they can't. I would have tolerated a dollar or two. But 60%? And still they haven't made a compelling offer to get me to return. Or any for that matter.

I keep meaning to send this movie back and cancel the DVD/Blu-Ray portion. Probably had the same movie for 3 months now and haven't found time to watch it. My wife loves the streaming for the older TV series so of course we will keep it. And maybe go back to Red Box for movies or try out the local library, although I'm not sure if they carry Blu Ray yet.

Well they lost their best movie client who gave them the newest movies which come out. If you look at netflix lately they have been getting a lot of foreign films (recommend : The wave).

I keep meaning to send this movie back and cancel the DVD/Blu-Ray portion. Probably had the same movie for 3 months now and haven't found time to watch it. My wife loves the streaming for the older TV series so of course we will keep it. And maybe go back to Red Box for movies or try out the local library, although I'm not sure if they carry Blu Ray yet.
Free library rentals FTW! :) Though the queue for new releases can be brutal. :(

IMO I do wish they had significantly more content. I'd pay $15-$20 a month if they could get most new stuff released on DVD put on streaming within 6 months of its release.

IMO if they had most DVD/Blu-Ray releases 6-12 months after release, the service would be worth waaaaay more then $20 per month. More like $60-80, and even then that's undervalued. Honestly I would pay that in a heart beat for that service.

Heck if they charged $50 (my sat bill) for the same content I get each week but without commercials and on-demand (kinda like hulu), I would bite and cancel sat. Stretch obviously but you get my point.

I realize that cable/sat is getting expensive, but you are kidding yourself if the industry is going to take a hit like $20 per month + no commercials for their content.

For $8 bucks a month you can't really complain too much about their content, they do have a whole bunch considering the cost and no commercials. The problem I ran into, was that I watched pretty much all the TV shows I wanted to and they didn't get new ones I wanted to watch, so I went back to DVD only.

The GUI kinda sucks, but it is LIGHT YEARS ahead of anything cable/sat is providing. Heck I have the blockbuster/Dish deal and navigating BB streaming with dish box is horrendous. Don't know about VUDU or amazon GUI on PS3/video streamers...

The CEO of netflix has said they have no ambitions of replacing cable/sat, just to be a fairly cheap add-on of content. That means they will continue to get old, B-rated content.

Even if Netflix broke down and did tiered pricing, charged more etc they still couldn't compete because most of the big content owners also own cable/sat services. Pretty much just like music and mp3 in the last decade, where content and record companies fought tooth and nail until they had eventually caught up and managed to get deals with apple, amazon etc.

Content makers currently have an insane market structure they managed to put into place (essentially cable/sat pay waaay too much for the little content they do get, and thus have to run commercials + high costs). It will take 5-10 years before streaming becomes somewhat "normal" and the market rests somewhere in-between what we want and what providers what, just like music/mp3.

Like them or not, they are one of the few things that prevent the movie industry from having everything their own way.

I agree.

But Netflix isn't alone.

Apple and video game consoles are other casualties of ignorance.

After ten years, I just came to the conclusion that the [H] attracts fanboys in mass partially because it is partially run by one.

My only complaint about Netflix is that on my 360 it streams HD from the start; no matter if I start from the beginning, or I pick up where I left off since my last viewing. However, it won't do this when I watch on my PC. What it will do is start showing the movie, at whatever point, and it says "Not playing HD", then SOMETIMES it will go to "Buffering HD", and then I wait forever, and finally, it says "Playing HD". How is it that I can watch it in HD from the get go from the 360, but on the PC, I could go as long as 30 minutes in and it STILL won't even buffer in HD?

I've tried clearing cookies, I've also made sure my account settings say to stream in best quality. My Silverlight is also up to date and as far as I can tell, Flash is too. its like this for Firefox, Chrome and IE. I can't get Netflix to run in Opera. I still have this issue.

I think its going to get worse unless they improve their programming and package options.

I'm about ready to dump Netflix for Amazon Prime streaming which works out better for me.

Netflix already had a fairly poor streaming library and after they lost Starz, the library got even worse. Not surprised they're suffering a loss.

I canceled them WAY back when, when they said they would wait 28 days to put new DVDs out. My internet cant stream well out in the sticks. Now the movie companys put an even longer wait on DVDs. I changed to blockbuster.com after that. Been with them ever since. The problem with netfix isnt netfix its the movie companies threatening them if they dont do what "they want".

same here

i think the haters are people who either consume content like they have no life outside of watching tv, or they have very specific tastes in material....

on the other hand, i love documentarys and odd stuff, and i find lots to watch and for my kids there is a ton of stuff too, so we get good value for the $8/mo

the ceo has ego issues, and made some dumbass mistakes, i think that fuels the bashing more than anything, but the service and concept are great, however we are in a time when almost every media company sees them as the enemy, and greed is fueling them to further find ways to make netflix less appealing.

the complaint about bandwidth is a non issue, if you want perfect 1080p buy the blue ray, oh wait that would cost more then $8 a month. plus if we got the best streams possible, most people would have playback issues as their connections randomly slow down(or somewhere between the servers and their homes), and other devices in the household would start to "hog" bandwidth from the stream. this doesnt even mention the fact that it wouldnt be a week for most people to hit their caps set by most ISPs in america, i was typically capping my lame 200gig cap in the third week before i was forced to set it to 75% quality, thanks cox.

netflix is great, but i also understand the lack of newer content, they are trying to play a balancing act with costs vs content. most of which is out of their control at this time. blame the content owners for those issues.

Canceled when they raised prices and announced the "Quickster" thing. Using Prime now, but they have a much more limited selection.

Has Netfilx changes their crappy layout where it suggests all those shitty movies and shows you a million things you're not interested in? That's another reason I quit. I should be able to set my preferences to show only the categories I want, not what they "think" I should like. I also hate how they "rate for you" instead of just having customer's movie ratings. That system doesn't work, at least not for me.

I'm a pretty big fan of Netflix too. I think the movie studios are going to do what they can to run them into the ground though. I think their current model of paying one fee and getting all the content on instant watch will not work long term unless they can get a lot more movie based content. I love the tv shows but the movies are pretty sad.

What I would love to see them do is compete with Amazon on the VOD front. They can keep the current instant watch catalog but I'd also like the option of paying $3-4 to stream a movie if it is available and I think that is a market that will grow quickly in the next few years. As far as that goes Amazon is eating Netflix's lunch bigtime though.

I'm a pretty big fan of Netflix too. I think the movie studios are going to do what they can to run them into the ground though. I think their current model of paying one fee and getting all the content on instant watch will not work long term unless they can get a lot more movie based content. I love the tv shows but the movies are pretty sad.

What I would love to see them do is compete with Amazon on the VOD front. They can keep the current instant watch catalog but I'd also like the option of paying $3-4 to stream a movie if it is available and I think that is a market that will grow quickly in the next few years. As far as that goes Amazon is eating Netflix's lunch bigtime though.

There are already tons of services with pay to rent movies, netflix does not need to nickel and dime you to death. I prefer paying one low fee for all the movies I want a month. Amazon is close but nowhere near as large as Netflix yet. Problem is all these companies are starting to get greedy and doing their own thing thus Netflix continues to lose contracts. Pretty soon streaming TV will get as expensive as cable since you will need 6 different subscriptions to keep up with the shows you want to watch.

Still <3 netflix. Haven't paid for cable in years and have no regrets. One of the best decisions I've ever made (except during Hockey season)

There are already tons of services with pay to rent movies, netflix does not need to nickel and dime you to death. I prefer paying one low fee for all the movies I want a month. Amazon is close but nowhere near as large as Netflix yet. Problem is all these companies are starting to get greedy and doing their own thing thus Netflix continues to lose contracts. Pretty soon streaming TV will get as expensive as cable since you will need 6 different subscriptions to keep up with the shows you want to watch.

How is netflix nickle and diming exactly? Profits are down, mostly due to the insane licensing fees they pay.

HBO GO is eating their lunch for them.

They have the Full Suite of HBO Series in HD.

On top of that, they have all of the Movies that show on HBO for the month, so every month, you get a new, fresh set of movies that can be nearly new releases.

They have Sports, Boxing, etc..

And an Adult Section..

For $20 a month.. Pretty hard to beat.. (I do have both Netflix and HBO Go..)

HBO GO is eating their lunch for them.

They have the Full Suite of HBO Series in HD.

On top of that, they have all of the Movies that show on HBO for the month, so every month, you get a new, fresh set of movies that can be nearly new releases.

They have Sports, Boxing, etc..

And an Adult Section..

For $20 a month.. Pretty hard to beat.. (I do have both Netflix and HBO Go..)

except for the fact that you need to subscribe to cable, subscribe the premium stations (or at least HBO) and then pay an extra 20.00 on top of that for HBO:Go.

I would be all over it if you could subscribe to Go all by iteself, but theres no way I'd go back to cable just for the convenience of watching HBO content. Besides, I own most of their decent stuff anyway, ready to stream (The Wire et.al.)

except for the fact that you need to subscribe to cable, subscribe the premium stations (or at least HBO) and then pay an extra 20.00 on top of that for HBO:Go.

I would be all over it if you could subscribe to Go all by iteself, but theres no way I'd go back to cable just for the convenience of watching HBO content. Besides, I own most of their decent stuff anyway, ready to stream (The Wire et.al.)

Yea exactly. Defeats the purpose when you have to pay close to 100 bucks for cable vs 8 dollars for netflix.

I love the Netflix model, but the studios are squeezing their balls hard. Its difficult to find new/high value content. A few more weeks of nothing I want to watch and I will be cancelling.

You do indeed have to have Cable and Subscribe to HBO to get GO, But, GO is Included in the HBO Price, it isnt $20 extra.

You do indeed have to have Cable and Subscribe to HBO to get GO, But, GO is Included in the HBO Price, it isnt $20 extra.

you're correct, was it initially a pay-for subscription? I remember reading that it cost extra around the time it launched.

either way, it's a tough pill to swallow. I don't see why HBO wouldn't want online-only subscribers... it expands their audience and makes them some extra money on top. Even the most novice users can figure out how to get their content for next to nothing.

you're correct, was it initially a pay-for subscription? I remember reading that it cost extra around the time it launched.

either way, it's a tough pill to swallow. I don't see why HBO wouldn't want online-only subscribers... it expands their audience and makes them some extra money on top. Even the most novice users can figure out how to get their content for next to nothing.

They don't want it because they get massive upfront payments from the cable companies to keep their content viable to the tv.

And you actually have to want to watch what HBO puts out. I don't care for the sports, or the "adult" content. I removed HBO from my cable years ago because they never had anything I wanted to watch.

Netflix is starting to suck more and more I wouldn't be surprised if it were bought out by a big crappy media giant..

Back