Netflix Offline Streaming Lands on Windows 10 PCs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Netflix’s offline feature is no longer exclusive to mobile devices. If you open your Windows 10 app now, you should be greeted to a splash screen that advertises the ability to download shows for offline viewing. I think they are still working the kinks out, though: hitting “find something to download” just takes me back to the homepage, and I’m getting errors on anything that is supposedly downloadable.

When you open the app, Netflix will show you a large splash screen that advertises the new “download and go” capability. Unfortunately, if you click the Find me something to download button, the Netflix app doesn’t currently display a list of downloadable titles; you’ll have to hunt them down yourself. Netflix usually prioritizes its own shows first as downloadable options, though its entire catalog isn’t immediately available. Daredevil, Five Came Back, and Easy were among the Netflix shows that weren’t available for download, while The Angry Birds Movie, a general Hollywood release, was.

For those having issues with this, log out of Netflix and then log back in and it should work after that. I had problems as well until I did that and now downloading works perfectly.

Pretty cool feature, didn't even know Netflix did this because I don't use it on mobile devices. I can see where desktop users might even use this if they have slow bandwidth.

Pretty cool feature, didn't even know Netflix did this because I don't use it on mobile devices. I can see where desktop users might even use this if they have slow bandwidth.

Slow bandwidth and for on the go viewing. Got a couple of long road trips planned for this summer and I'll definitely be taking advantage of this.

Its super useful for 2 in 1s like my Surface 3. Most times i will DL the entire episode first and then watch it. Hell i do this even for movie files on my network This is how i feel streaming should ALWAYS be done, grab as much of the file as possible as quickly as possible in case something happens to the link. It pisses me off its taken this long to get this BASIC functionality. (they had to wait for the DRM to be in place)

So what happens to the offline content when the show is pulled from Netflix?

So what happens to the offline content when the show is pulled from Netflix?

I guess it works like a digital download rental that has an expiration date that would get set once you reconnect once it's pulled for Netflix's catalog.

This is great news. I've been hoping for this for months.

The rumor mill was pretty strong that this was going to come to the Windows 10 UWA version, the phone version currently isn't one and may never be at this point. The Netflix app is used more by Windows 10 users than the web site from what Microsoft said a while back which isn't surprising, I'm guessing that this will make the web site less relevant for 10 users. I get that people say that UWA are useless on the desktop but they do have their place.

The rumor mill was pretty strong that this was going to come to the Windows 10 UWA version, the phone version currently isn't one and may never be at this point. The Netflix app is used more by Windows 10 users than the web site from what Microsoft said a while back which isn't surprising, I'm guessing that this will make the web site less relevant for 10 users. I get that people say that UWA are useless on the desktop but they do have their place.
This app is why I upgraded to Windows 8.x from 7. I wanted 5.1 on my computer and that was the easiest way (only?) to get it on my PC and I already had a license for 8.x
I don't think I've used the website in several years. The only thing it does better is it has reviews (at least it did). Then again, now that they've gone to thumbs up/down, the ratings are totally useless to me.

Back