Netflix Has A New Binge Scale

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix has released a new Binge Scale that shows which programs are most likely to result in binge watching. The scale ranges from political dramas on the “shows to savor” end of the spectrum to sci-fi and thrillers being on the “shows to devour” end.

Netflix examined global viewing* of more than 100 serialized TV series across more than 190 countries and found when members are focused on finishing a series, they watch a little over two hours a day to complete a season. When organizing series in relation to this benchmark, interesting patterns emerge, ranging from high energy narratives that are devoured to thought-provoking dramas that are savored.

Great, so they're focusing on binge watchers and... again... we need more content because when we binge then by definition as soon as we're done we want something else to watch. I've binge watched Daredevil's two seasons, House of Card's four seasons, and Jessica Jones' one season so far. That's about it for me although I know there are a lot of full series shows available, not to mention Netflix's own content they're making now (which is what the three shows I just mentioned happened to be). And by binge watch I literally mean I'll watch the 13 episodes in a single day of watching - it helps to be retired. ;) The 13 episode count seems to be what studios like to produce now, not the traditional 22-23 episodes for most TV shows on the broadcast networks; cable networks started the 13 episode crap.

But even so, in spite of all the speed improvements, for all the UI fixes and updates, for all the stuff they keep doing except increasing the sheer content available means I'm probably just going to fall back to signing up for Netflix on an as-needed basis and not just paying them each month. Been paying them for years now, some months I almost forget I have the account active because I find what I want to watch elsewhere because - tada! - Netflix doesn't or won't get it for their licensing issue reasons with the studios.

I'm all for the improvements they keep making even though I'm still dissatisfied at the sheer amount of content but I suppose because the studios (movie and TV) are now getting into streaming their own content themselves (so they don't have to share any potential profits or pay Netflix or other services, obviously). They're doing very well and still increasing their user base obviously, now with tons of countries worldwide, but when I can't find something I'd like to watch then I have to question the ~$10 I'm paying them each month which basically is free cash for them if I don't even hit their website except once to check for something then I don't come back for weeks after discovering what I wanted isn't available.

What are you talking about? The article was analyzing how people watch series, not telling people what to do.

looked at the "chart" and their explanations for the reasoning of ><2 hours of watching. should have read the article. my bad...

I ran out of things to binge watch. Started watching CSI: Miami to see if I can get into that. Of course I'm always up for some Highlander episodes but Netflix too those off.

I'm going on a binge watching strike until another season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is available.
Edit: after reading the article, I realized it's been so long since I've seen Arrested Development I've forgotten so much I can binge watch them like the first time again. So, I'm lifting my strike now and calling in sick tomorrow.

Last edited:
I will say, Daredevil kicks serious ass. On the flip side, for those who like emotional dramas or Japanese cartoons, "Your Lie in April" will have you losing your shit bawling at the end. A hidden gem.

Interesting. Based on that scale and those shows, my watching habits don't line up very much with everyone else's.

I actually binge watched BoJack Horseman one year after seeing the first two episodes (when season 2 came out) and I've yet to finish Daredevil since I didn't want to finish it so soon. Not to mention I've blown through each season of House of Cards within a week.

Last edited:
I used to binge watch the trailer park boys...just about the only series I do that with. The episodes are bite sized enough that you can make it through a season in a few hours.

Why dont they have Babylon 5 damnit!!! Regardless of what Sheldon Cooper says its a great show

They had it for a long time then a couple weeks before I started watching it they lost the license :(

I think it's on Prime now.

Hmm might make Prime an option now. I mean there are other benefits to Prime other than movies too

Back