Netflix Gives Controversial "13 Reasons Why" Series More Viewer Warnings

Keep projecting you tough non-snowflakes. Since you dislike disclaimers in front of shows so much why don't *you* research each show before you watch it, and if it has a disclaimer at the beginning you can know to skip it since it triggers you so hard?

This just seems like such a non-issue, it's comical that people are upset over it. It's literally no different than a crime re-enactment or some other show on television that could have more mature subject material - there's just a quick notification before the show starts that there is graphic language or violence in the show - and discretion should be used before viewing. This can apply to parents for children, or each viewer for themselves if they are affected by this. Some people don't like gore in movies and it actually makes them sick - others hate sex in their shows, etc.

What alarms me is that there are people who can't grasp that victims of sexual assault, rape, or lost someone dear to them from suicide can be affected by actual dramatized depictions of this, which can be consequential. They might have been watching assuming it would only be recounting the story, but not necessarily depicting scenes of actual rape or suicide. There's a big difference here, and I don't see why simply notifying the viewers beforehand in those episodes is a big deal.

This is exactly why there is a "Parents Guide" on IMDB to inform parents the subject material and what is actually depicted on screen. But not everyone is aware of this, and not everyone has the time or need to research the subject material prior to watching a show.

Do I think the warnings/alerts are necessary? Not really. Does it bother me? Nope. Do I think it's a good idea? Sure.

upload_2017-5-4_12-23-24.png

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837492/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

Why would anyone respect a helicopter parent that puts viewing restrictions on a 17 year old.

That's the point, if you feel you need to helicopter parent a 17 year old then you already failed a long time ago.

Triggering is an actual thing though. It's in the DSM.

Nerd...but srs you should probably have spelled it out and/or link for those that wouldn't know what you're talking about.

https://www.psychiatry.org/psychiatrists/practice/dsm

I'd rather them give a warning more akin to "Danger, this Netflix original series has atrocious acting and completely unlikable characters, horrible writing and we're ashamed we even let it be filmed."

But, its edgy! Teen angst! Drama queen sucide girls! Its real! It happens! Just reading the synopsis my thought was, "sounds like everyone is better off".

Nerd...but srs you should probably have spelled it out and/or link for those that wouldn't know what you're talking about.

https://www.psychiatry.org/psychiatrists/practice/dsm[/QUOTE]

I agree. Many people in this thread don't know what they're talking about.

Besides, if you Google "DSM" or "DSM triggering" it's the first result.

That has been made pointless by the idiots requiring safe zones and jazz hands for every little thing.

According to you. Unfortunately actual science is not decided by twitter hashtags. The fact that you allow some attention-seekers to bother you has no bearing. And I seriously doubt it was on the basis of people abusing a defined medical term that Netflix made this decision.

Well, this show has stirred up a lot, huh? I'm even getting letters from the school superintendent here saying we shouldn't let our kids watch it, it's horrible, it's offensive, and it "glorifies" suicide, and will lead our children to kill themselves.

Seriously? Have they even watched the show? What useless drivel.

Personally, I have been watching it with my 10 and 12 year old daughters. Yup. Absolutely. They are very involved, and interested in what happens next. And yes, we've gotten to the "offensive" stuff.

Why should they NOT see an accurate portrayal of what happens in today's society, to today's kids?

They powers that be feel they way they do, because they are still in denial about what is happening around them. Wake up, people. This shit is real. This happens. very day. Accept that, and maybe we can start HELPING these children, rather then leaving them alone, scared, and feeling like they have no way out, all while your eyes are blind and your hand is closed, while they scream, reaching for that hand, hoping you'll see them.

I hope my children gather a sense of awareness from the show. We make no mistake in telling them how real it is, and it can be even worse. And I hope they'll learn how to not let it happen tot hem. All the while telling them that they are never alone, ever, and no matter what, someone is always there, non-judging, and with those eyes open and hands outstretched.

In the meantime, this is freakin' harry potter all over again (and heavy metal, and rock and roll, and elvis, and on and on and on and on.)
The judgemental label that which they don't understand, or believe to be different than what it is. And in hatred,blame it, when what they should do is look in a mirror.

Screw them all.

I think this show is getting way too much flak from people who are judging it without even SEEING It, especially those that say it "glorifies" suicide, because I got the exact OPPOSITE reaction from watching the show.

I for one think the message was about showing those around others to actually LISTEN. Talk to people that might need help, stop bullying, even if it's something you think is "small" it could be big to that person.

I don't think it glorified suicide in the least, especially by not shying away from that "scene" like almost ANY other movie/show does when it comes to that, or just making it seem "peaceful" when it isn't in the least.

Back