netflix and ps3

antok86

[H]F Junkie
any new news on when and if netflix watch it now will be coming to ps3?

If Sony gets this implemented I wonder what the view instant queue will look like. Only reason I ask is once Xbox went live with the feature Sony/Universal pulled tons of content off the availability list. Would they then have "Instant viewing only available on PS3" type messages? Not saying this is right or wrong, but I wouldn't put it past sony to leverage this. I could only imagine people needing to switch between both consoles to watch different movies on netflix.

If Sony gets this implemented I wonder what the view instant queue will look like. Only reason I ask is once Xbox went live with the feature Sony/Universal pulled tons of content off the availability list. Would they then have "Instant viewing only available on PS3" type messages? Not saying this is right or wrong, but I wouldn't put it past sony to leverage this.
Sucks for the people that bought other solutions that were marketted as netflix ready devices. Even though they may not be viewing from a console, they still get the shaft.

while true, I assume that Sony isn't getting royalties for the "rentals" as a result (or not as much as the studios with no restrictions).

Either way, it kind of sucks, but there are plenty of other titles worth watching that aren't from sony :)

sony its self officially supporting netflix instant watch will probably never happen.. microsoft and sony are going 2 totally different directions with movie content.. sony is pushing bluray and microsoft is pushing the downloadable content.. and neither seem to be willing to share either concepts..

If you're looking for another, cheap solution, I HIGHLY recommend the Roku player.

http://www.roku.com/

It works exactly as advertised and I haven't had ANY problems with it. Unboxing and setup took maybe 5 minutes, and that included the time I spent keying my long wireless encryption key :).

Its VERY easy to use, my wife has no problem with it. The remote only has 6 buttons, and thats all you need.

It has automatic updates that it handles by itself, downloads and updates without you having to do a thing. They recently added Amazon Video on Demand with this, and they're talking about another service soon:

The box itself has a very small physical footprint.

Mediafly's A/V podcast aggregation service will be added to Roku's $100 digital video player set-top box this fall, the companies report. This puts the companies on a path to compete directly with Hulu.com. According to Mediafly, its service will provide free access to 'tens of thousands of audio and video podcasts' from NBC, CNN, ESPN, Comedy Central, and other sources. Roku VP Jim Funk notes that Mediafly is using a new Roku Developer Kit to ease the task of developing its add-on for the Roku box. Surely the cable companies are reading the writing on the wall!"

Not to mention the $100 price tag, which isn't bad at all.

Last edited:
I will add my endorsement of the playon media server. They are adding more and more capability to that on a regular basis. I really enjoy the new local files streaming along with Hulu and Netflix on my PS3.

On a related note, while I don't think Sony will be allowing this to be handled first party on the PS3 any time soon, Sony has introduced some Bravia TVs with Netflix streaming. It could come eventually...

If you're looking for another, cheap solution, I HIGHLY recommend the Roku player.

http://www.roku.com/

Does the Roku handle netflix HD content?

I also own Playon, and use it for streaming of hulu to the xbox, but sadly it will not play the HD versions of Hulu or Netflix. The built in netflix player on the xbox will.
The playon works great as it does not require a xbox live account so when I'm using my xbox live profile on another xbox the wife and kids can spin up the second xbox and view netflix(non hd) and Hulu.

Does the Roku handle netflix HD content?

I also own Playon, and use it for streaming of hulu to the xbox, but sadly it will not play the HD versions of Hulu or Netflix. The built in netflix player on the xbox will.
The playon works great as it does not require a xbox live account so when I'm using my xbox live profile on another xbox the wife and kids can spin up the second xbox and view netflix(non hd) and Hulu.

interested also if roku does HD

I had the Roku when it first came out. Small and capable albeit without the HD support that was promised. That had finally come to pass but only after I had ditched the player. I'd much rather have Netflix available through a device that serves another function in my A/V setup. I was looking at the Samsun BDP-1600 that my father has. Good Blu-Ray player with Netflix and Rhapsody players included. However, I already have a PS3 so I would not want to duplicate that. Granted, I don't play games on the PS3 so maybe I could just ditch that.

The Xbox Live update due out in August is going to have some changes to the Netflix player as well. One item I hope they include is an increase in the buffer size. I, like many others, are quite tired of HD content being paused because Netflix's servers or network had a hiccup and the player decides to switch to a lower a resolution. But, they are going to include the ability to manipulate your Instant Viewing queue straight from the 360 so that is a big bonus.

I'd much rather have Netflix available through a device that serves another function in my A/V setup. I was looking at the Samsun BDP-1600 that my father has. Good Blu-Ray player with Netflix and Rhapsody players included. However, I already have a PS3 so I would not want to duplicate that. Granted, I don't play games on the PS3 so maybe I could just ditch that.

I was in the exact same boat. I owned a PS3 and wished I could just stream to that. I didn't want to buy an xBox 360 nor another seperate BluRay player, it didn't make sense since the PS3 did a fine job on BluRay. I considered 'PlayOn' for the PS3, but opted for the Roku player because of my wife. I wanted it to be easy enough for a non-computer person to do, and Roku fit the bill. PlayOn looked a little more challenging (for her).

Roku does support full HD.
I just rented Watchmen in HD from Amazon and it was great. It loads and plays streams faster than my computer on netfix and the quallity seems better too. I also can stream netfix HD content when available.

Well, I believe the Roku player supports HD, and it also has an HDMI port. I wasn't aware that Netflix had streaming High Def yet though.

But I did a quick Google search, and found these two articles:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/...ontents-competing-against-microsoft-xbox-360/
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/23/roku-netflix-player-now-supports-hd-streaming/

So I guess it does :).

I wanted to come back to this thread and note that I recently added a few programs to my Netflix Queue that supported High-Def streaming (Lost Seasons 1-4 for example), and the Roku Player identifies them as HD, and the video quality is superb. It looks great on my 52' Sony Bravia.

So yea, high-def streaming is definitely working, and working well.

Your not missing much. Netflix instant watch is pretty much fail. Seems like every movie I really want to watch is not available to stream.

Yea, their selection isn't the best --- YET -- but I fully expect this to take off rather quickly. What they do have available works great.

Your not missing much. Netflix instant watch is pretty much fail. Seems like every movie I really want to watch is not available to stream.

Yeah, limited selection. They dont want to pay the prices being asked for top-name titles when they just release, so you get sligtly older movies in general, or lower budget ones. It's a free addition, so its not too bad. I loved all the older movies and series they had on there at one point, was awesome. I used to do support for it. so I guess I see it with rose-tinted glasses, since seeing it otherwise used to mean more work :p

Yea, their selection isn't the best --- YET -- but I fully expect this to take off rather quickly. What they do have available works great.

People were saying that last year when the Xbox service was in the works, and even the worst pessimists (me included) were saying that "by next Summer, it'll be good." Well it's next Summer, and it's not only not good, it's still just as shitty as last year.

So yeah, don't expect it to take off rather quickly considering that its barely gotten off the ground after all this time.

I dunno, they have a lot of TV stuff on there. Quickly meaning the next 5 years or so. IMO subscription based digital distribution is where things are going.

Back