Netbook with 1Gb of RAM & Windows 7

cuemasterfl

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm considering getting a Netbook for my daughter's 12th birthday (next week!) I'm looking at one for $228 with 1Gb of RAM, Dual Core, which looks sufficient. Is 1Gb of RAM enough? I'm getting it for her because she loves to write, and this will be a perfect place for her to keep her stories etc. Right now, she bounces around between computers in the home. I want her to have her own Netbook that's just for her. Also, she will use Facebook (yes I know she's under the age limit but she is supervised most of the time), and web browsing (youtube, etc).

She MIGHT want to play Portal 2 (her all time favorite game), but that's not the reason I'm buying it.

Thanks in advance.

Netbooks come with Windows 7 Starter (in North America at least) that has max 2GB of memory. I upgraded my Asus 1015PN from 1GB to 2GB and it was noticeablely better, especially for browsing the web if you are going to have Flash heavy sites like YouTube videos/multiple tabs. I think I paid $20 for the 2GB SODIMM, didn't bother trying to sell the 1GB I pulled out of the netbook.

One thing to keep in mind, the resolution sucks on 10 inch notebooks, 1024x600, not ideal for writing but should be good for a kid and the price is right. Another option is a used 15 inch notebook on Craigslist.

I bought her an Acer Aspire One netbook, 11.1", 2Gb of RAM, Dual Core from Walmart for $268 last night. I played with it a little today and it's pretty good. She'll be happy with it. The resolution is 1366 x 768.

Upgrade to 2GB if you get it. My netbook has a dual core Atom N550 (4 threads) and it can get slow with more than a few tabs open. It only has 1GB right now. Also you can find one with a different res I think mine is 1366 x 768.

LOL didn't see your post, good job on the purchase, she will be happy with that.

Last edited:
Back