Netbook Win 7 starter very poor perfomance

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought an Acer emachines EM250 netbook from Walmart ,the 228.00 one.

Out of the box the machine was downright clunky. I then swapped out the one Gb for 2 Gb Mem. No noticable improvment. I also upgraded the bios and all drivers. Did all the tweaks I found, and removed all Bloatware. I uninstalled Norton and installedl Avira.

I downloaded Torchlight and Duex from Steam. I had to crank the resolution and windows desktop to 800 by 600 and also turn textures down or off just to be able to play at all.

Since I had a spare copy of XP Pro I installed it and all SPs and drivers. The difference was another universe. The Netbook now flies. It can run both games at high settings. It is super smooth. After reading everybodys great reports on Win 7, I wonder if this is a Starter edition problem, maybe a bad factory install, although all hardware seemed properly installed, I have since installed a Kingston 64 Gig SSD machine is working flawlessly
with XP.

Specs Atom N270, 2 GB Ram 64 GB Kingston SSD. GMA950. Wireless G an 10/100Wired.

Also from the drivers and examination in the store it would appear to me that this an E machines branded Apire one.
Just throwing this out there for opinions. I would have like to use 7 though, especially with the SSD.

Wouldn't simply reloading Windows 7, installing necessary/updated drivers, then leaving it alone work? Also I would have used the Anytime upgrade feature to upgrade to Home Premium to take advantage of Aero.

Edit: Placebo effect or not, I've always found reinstalling Windows on a new computer faster and snappier as opposed to uninstalling individual bloatware apps.

The fact that it's the Starter is why it's performing poorly. The GMA950 is capable of using Aero, so I suggest you get Home Premium at least so you can offload the GUI to your video chipset rather than taxing the heck out of the lackluster Atom processor.

If you insist on staying with Starter, you might be able to enable Aero using hacks. Here's something I found with a Google search: http://www.technixupdate.com/enable...c-and-windows-7-home-basic-with-aero-enabler/

The fact that it's the Starter is why it's performing poorly. The GMA950 is capable of using Aero, so I suggest you get Home Premium at least so you can offload the GUI to your video chipset rather than taxing the heck out of the lackluster Atom processor.

If you insist on staying with Starter, you might be able to enable Aero using hacks. Here's something I found with a Google search: http://www.technixupdate.com/enable...c-and-windows-7-home-basic-with-aero-enabler/

I am running Win 7 Pro on my Acer Aspire One w/2GB and it runs as well as XP ever did and some.

pcgeek11

I am running Win 7 Pro on my Acer Aspire One w/2GB and it runs as well as XP ever did and some.

pcgeek11

Which Aspire One? The OP has the Atom N270 and only a gig of RAM. We all know that Vista and 7's sweet spot is 2gb (such as in your case). The N270 is a single core 1.6ghz Atom, one of Intel's "bargain" Atoms.

Some of the early Atom netbooks are really slow.

Perhaps if the OP throws another gig of RAM in it, it might be a little more forgiving, but you still need to enable Aero to relieve the Atom of its extra processing chore.

Which Aspire One? The OP has the Atom N270 and only a gig of RAM. We all know that Vista and 7's sweet spot is 2gb (such as in your case). The N270 is a single core 1.6ghz Atom, one of Intel's "bargain" Atoms.

Perhaps if the OP throws another gig of RAM in it, it might be a little more forgiving, but you still need to enable Aero to relieve the Atom of its extra processing chore.

Reread OP. He already did ;).

I have put Windows 7 on a couple of Atom based desktops and netbooks and it works fine, even with only 1 GB or RAM.

Just by sampling all that's out there on this subject, which is a lot actually, Winodws 7 runs just fine on all netbooks, I mean they are all the same hardware, if Windows 7 runs fine on one, it should, at least in theory, I know reality can be different, but at least the vast majority of the time run a given netbook.

It runs great on mine, but lets face it, netbooks are just slow compared to our 4Ghz i7 systems fellows.

win 7 runs fine with 1gb, at least as fast as XP.

Back