Net sharing problem

vinnie

[H]ard|Gawd
Setup:

Cable modem to NIC #1 on my XP box.
Crossover cable to the family comp, running windows 95, uses ICS to share the net connection.

It has worked flawlessly since late 2002- absolutely nothing has changed in that time.

Problem:

Modem is fine. Net is fine for my comp. The family computer can no longer see the net though. I can ping it, it can ping me. I can access shared resources on it. It can view websites served from my apache if I use the local IP.

However, it just plain can't see the net. I disabled my firewall even, no dice.

I was away for the weekend. This mysteriously started not long after I left and has persisted. They all insist they changed or touched nothing... yet what possibly could stop something that has worked flawlessly for 15 months from working?

Any help appreciated, great or small. Willing to try anything except line dancing or incest.

Originally posted by vinnie

Any help appreciated, great or small. Willing to try anything except line dancing or incest.
Lmao

There is only 2 settings you really need to worry about to use the internet on a remote computers. Which are both located in tcp/ip properties on the remote pc.

1. Default Gateway, should be set to the pc with the modem - this tells the pc where to look for internet access.

2. DNS server address, should be set to the pc with the modem - tells the pc where it can get an address translates (website address to ip address).

Gateway hasn't changed.

DNS has never been set to this box and it's always worked.

:(

The only other odd thing I've noticed is that while the other box is happy to an IP via dhcp- if I release it won't renew, says dhcp unreachable.

Not sure if it's always been like that or not- never had reason to release and renew a 192.168.0.2 IP before.

:( They're threatening me with calling out a computer person. Not looking forward to it.

Back