Net connection keeps dropping, bad router or?

colbert

n00b
I have a Rogers cable modem and Linksys WRT54GS (stock firmware but updated to latest Linksys one), all has worked fine for several years with typical minor hitches here or there. This last week or so, however, my internet connection is dropping constantly, this is so bad that as an example I just clicked on Networking & Security forum, it loaded the page and then clicked on New Thread and already it lost connectivity and timed out for a minute until coming back. :(

I have power cycled my router numerous times and even my cable modem. I'm thinking the router is at the end of its life or something, so do I just replace it or is there some other idea/option I am missing.

Appreciate any help folks!

Try hooking your computer directly into the modem and see if you can get internet tubes that way. If you can and it works fine then you know the router is pooped and you should get a new one. If the issue persists directly connected to the cable modem then you need to call your ISP and complain. :D

Easy test - if you can ping your router when your Internet activity stops, it's either modem or ISP. Chances are it's the ISP, b/c if your modem was bad it wouldn't be good sometimes (and bad other times).

PS: Comcast has been flakey since the weekend prior to July 4th. Not good at all.

A few things I'd look at

*Is your wireless secured? If not, some kiddie next door may be sucking the life out of your internet connection with that torrent/p2p/warez downloading crap

*Next time the connection seems flakey, as mentioned above...ping your router. Even if your router is locked up..you can ping its LAN IP, (you can always ping something..the important thing is, do you get replies or not). So do you get replies when you ping it?

*Also while the connection is acting flakey, if you ping a public IP address like 208.67.222.222 (one of OpenDNS servers)....do you get healthy replies?

*Splitters in your line. Most cable connections I come across are actually splitters gone bad. Where the lines comes into your house, you should have a 2x way splitter ....1 to your modem, 1 to another splitters..when then goes to your TVs. This puts your modem at the front of the line, where it gets the strongest signal.

Ping the router to make sure you're not loosing connectivity to the router.... if you can ping the router, try pinging the DNS server.

+1 with Yeold.

Back