Net Admins: Static IP Management?

BuGaLoU

[H]ard|Gawd
Do any of my fellow network administrators have a good way to manage your network's static IP addresses? I current use Excel, which is fine for me but is a real PITA for the rest of the IT staff to access.

A simple web based tracking system would be perfect for my needs but I am yet to find anything. Before i start coding, does something like this already exist?

I have messed with PHPIP before. It will do what you want but might take a bit of customization. There were some quirks that I did not like but I have yet to go back to and see if it has improved.

well as far as main stream business equip goes im very limited in how it works, but i know that my linksys router does what you want, gives me a list of all the computer names, ip addy and mac address

In DHCP....name each reservation based on a convention that make sense to you.

You'll see the list right there...in MMC. Take screenshot if need it on paper.

static DHCP addressing > just plain 'ol static addressing...

by a long shot... save yourself some headache

we use our reverse dns server to keep track of static ips.
When you assign a static one in the dns, make sure the pointer record is correct as well.

You could always leave the equipment on static ip's but also log the ip's on the dhcp server as if they are on auto IP.

You could always leave the equipment on static ip's but also log the ip's on the dhcp server as if they are on auto IP.

This gets my vote (DHCP reservation record), but the reverse DNS lookup range is a good one as well. You can use a simple VBScript and the command line DHCP admin tool to dump a formatted report of any subnet, if you need one (I'm assuming Windows based DHCP).

If you really want to keep your docs up-to-date and you are building reservations with the real MAC, you need to remember to update the MAC for any failed NICs as part of your hardware replacement process.

At my last job we had 3 or 4 different people keeping lists. One day one of the 1st level guys asked for an available IP while I was updating one of our wiki pages. By later that after noon each office had a network page on the wiki with some basic info.

It was pretty simple but all of the IT guys had access to it.

ive been looking for something similar myself. we use a custom ms access database to keep track of our IP address assignments. it's old, slow and not very practical.

i've come across quite a few "IPAM's" (EYE Pams) via my google travels.

here's a free open source one i found, but have yet to give it a shot.

http://iptrack.sourceforge.net/

Back