.NET 1.1 and 2.0

Tweakin

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone notice when installing a fresh copy of XP and installing the .NET 2.0 redist package the .NET 1.1 redist still shows up in windows update? Is there a reason for that or just an oversight on Microsoft's part? I just did a clean install of XP SP2 on a machine, installed .NET 2.0 without downloading the .NET 1.1 from windows update and all my .NET based applications are working just fine- so I am assuming oversight.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It's not an oversight...

The multiple versions of the .Net Framework can exist on a single machine, for several good reasons.

Individual applications can be set to "float" forward to any newer version of the framework or they can explicitly bind to a specific version. In many cases an app can also bind to a older version of the framework than it expects, but this is much more limited since the app must only use those features available on the older version of the runtime, and even then there can be issues.

One of the many reasons for this is so that apps don't have to worry about breaking changes to the APIs as the framework improves and expands over time. An app can be set to use a specific, unchanging, version of the APIs, in which case it'll normally install the framework as part of the application install.

yeah ive always wondered about that too and thought it wa a glitch from MS :rolleyes:

Back