NES PC Build Project

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Oct 18, 2010.

1. DaBuddMon

DaBuddMon Limp Gawd

Ah no. I couldn't sell it. When I say I built this box out of my nostalgia for the NES, I meant it.

2. i2abid

i2abid [H]ard|Gawd

Amazing work! Megaman 2 fans automatically get two thumbs up no matter what they do.

3. alf717

alf717 Gawd

I enjoyed the video a lot. My original NES bit the dust this past Spring. I replaced the 72 pin connector but the console wasn't holding the games down since I must of tightened the screws down too tight. When I went back in to fix it I closed it all up and now I get no picture and the audio buzzes. I've been hunting for an NES since but all that is out there are the replicas. I really wish I could find a way to fix my NES or replace the motherboard. I've had my NES since I was 5 and I'll never forget the first night I watch my brother play it but the day I finally got the NES in my room was what started it all for me. Great times back.

4. Allos

Allos Limp Gawd

Awesome mod!!!

Tips of restoring yellowed plastic: Retr0Bright

5. KublaKhan

KublaKhan Limp Gawd

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I bow to you, sir. Great job!

6. R0N1

R0N1 [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks, just awesome, this made my day.

7. SticKx911

SticKx911 2[H]4U

mega man 2 is my favorite game of all time. I got it for a birthday and played it for like 2 days straight save for like 2 hours of sleep. lol now I can beat it in like 30 minutes.

awesome project. like other's I'd thought about it, but that usb controller thing I think my issue, how to get the controllers to work without spending a crap ton of money modding the controllers too.

the video was awesome too. thanks for sharing.

8. DaBuddMon

DaBuddMon Limp Gawd

I couldn't believe no one had made a Mega Man 2 game theme for Hyperspin. I just couldn't let that pass. I might spruce it up a bit and make it downloadable on their site.

9. BrainC0DE

BrainC0DE [H]ard|Gawd

10. Sherk

Sherk [H]ard|Gawd

I have an NES in an original box (the Mario Bros 3 version). Seeing this mod makes me want to replicate it, but I can't bring myself to do it to a pristine unit...

11. Heyday

Heyday Limp Gawd

That is amazing. Very nice work.

I do have two original Nintendos lying around. I couldn't bring myself to do it to my only Nintendo, but the spare, hmmm...

12. EndersShadow

EndersShadow [H]ard|Gawd

Man, I really really really want to get someone to hand me off that custom OS stuff so I can build one myself. I might be able to build the computer, do the vector graphics, but the programming....yeah those skills I dont have....

Props on this, brought back some fun times, specially punch out

13. SticKx911

SticKx911 2[H]4U

totally should. :)

what kind of hardware requirements does something like this have? would an atom or maybe even a via processor fit the bill?

14. DaBuddMon

DaBuddMon Limp Gawd

Well, even with the E5300, which I thought would be overpowered for a box like this, isn't enough to run Hyperspin with all the bells and whistles. Or maybe it's the onboard Geforce 9300 (which again, way overpowered for just playing NES, but Hyperspin is another story). In any case, I had to disable a few things like background transitions in Hyperspin to get it to run smoothly on this box. Hopefully the newer versions, when they come out, will run a bit better. Hyperspin 2 will come out in probably 3-6 months from now - at least that's what the hope is.

15. pcelcer

pcelcer n00b

Nice job - love the GUI menu and case shots - I can tell u put a lot of luv into it.

16. DaBuddMon

DaBuddMon Limp Gawd

Thanks good sir.

I've already started on an intro video to the SNES.

17. cbags101

cbags101 Gawd

This brought a tear to my eye. Any chance I can come over and play it? :D

18. DaBuddMon

DaBuddMon Limp Gawd

Hell yes. So far only my roommate and my fiance have played it with me. Maybe I'll throw a party...;)