nero digital avc (h.264) encoding

mikemodano9c

Limp Gawd
i generally use cce for dvd backups, and sometimes xvid/divx (asp) mpeg 4 encoders. i have a philips dvp642 and i experimented converting to xvid/divx backup putting three movies onto a single writeable dvd (1493 meg each). using autogk the quality was pretty good, not bad and not great depending on movie length of course. the other day i picked up nero 7 ultra and decided to give h.264 avc encoding a try through recode 2. i did a few main move dvd backups into nero avc (standard) and i was very impressed with the results. the backups are easily distinguishable from xvid/divx (asp) encoding...the quality (at least in my eyes) is much better. the big downside is that on my laptop (p4 3.0ghz northwood, 1gb ram) with all the high quality settings on my 2nd pass encoding speed dipped under 5 frames per second :eek:. i usually get between 18-30 fps encoding with xvid/divx at near dvd resolution...so obviously it's a huge drop in encoding speed. i turned down the quality a little in nero recode and i got my 2nd pass fps up to about 7-8 fps.

i looked on nero's site and there seems to be about 10 dvd players that will play the nero avc files (standard profile). out of the 10 the only current company in the US that sells a nero digital capable dvd player is avayon (dxp1000). i plan to pick one of these up very soon to test it out. hopefully support for the nero digital format will grow (it should since ess had adopted the technology in their dvd chipsets).

who else is encoding into nero digital avc? what kind of speed are you seeing with your setup?

im going to backup most of my dvd's into this format for the quality...i guess i need to assemble a supercomputer to get some decent encoding speeds though :D

Back